Freeze drying the harvest

Sammster

Crowing
Jul 31, 2021
SE Michigan
I don't have large gardens, like many of you do. We're in the burbs. Which kind of makes freeze drying ideal. Not many of my veggies produce enough at any given time to warrant canning (yet - I'm working on that), but you can always fill a freeze dryer tray! My freeze dryer has 4 trays, so I can fill it will several different veggies or herbs or meals or leftovers, at the same time. I currently have carrots, green and wax beans, cherry and small, sliced tomatoes going. All from the garden. Next I'll put in watermelon, sliced strawberries and more carrots. I just fill the trays and stack them in the deep freeze until I have 4 that are ready to process
20230809_120153.jpg

20230809_110424.jpg

20230801_112322.jpg

Ah, but don’t let the ‘burbs stop you! Check out @BReeder! posts. He’s in Chicago suburbs and has quite the garden, plus greenhouse.

Nice haul for the freeze dryer
@Sammster Our neighbors have deemed us "urban farmers". We are on a 1/3 acre suburban lot with a backyard measuring roughly 85'x 85' - I'm not a fan of the fact that I'm forced to have such a large front lawn, but it is what it is. In that backyard I put a garden fence 24' from the back fence nearly all the way across the yard side to side. Our shed is at the far right end and doubles as chicken coop and run (teeser: new shed nearly finished. pics to come soon). Anyway, that allows us a garden that measure a total of 24' x ~65'. We have an 8'x10' greenhouse, a fountain and sitting area, 9 large raised beds (6-4x8,1-3x8 and 2-2x10) and two 10x~24 spaces for in ground planting. I'll get pics later - it's a bit weedy right now I'll admit.

I dry/can/freeze a fair amount of food. How long would it take to freeze dry, say, apple slices or green beans?

I'm wondering if I'd be sorry if I bought a smaller unit to save money. Or a larger, more expensive unit, and didn't need the capacity.

For the Harvest Right brand -

It takes 20 to 40 hours to freeze dry a batch (it will indicate when it is done) depending on what kind of food it is.

The smallest one holds 6 to 10 pounds on 434 sq inches of tray space.

The largest one holds 40 to 50 pounds on 2251 sq inches of tray space.

For the Harvest Right brand -

It takes 20 to 40 hours to freeze dry a batch (it will indicate when it is done) depending on what kind of food it is.

The smallest one holds 6 to 10 pounds on 434 sq inches of tray space.

The largest one holds 40 to 50 pounds on 2251 sq inches of tray space.
This helps, thanks. I doubt I need the largest one, but the smallest seems a bit small. Maybe a medium sized one...

Back
Top Bottom