freeze proof hose ideas?

Sylverfly

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Northeastern Michigan
I have chickens and a whole host of other animals here and all the watering devices are over one hundred feet from the source of water. Normally this is not an issue I just haul buckets in the winter and use a garden hose in the warmer months. But I've been having heart problems and was told not to be hauling water for a while (no heavy lifting) so I've been having friends and family help out for a few days. I feel like a pain in the butt and hate watching them have to do this for me, so I'm looking for ideas on how to use a hose in below freezing weather here. I know there are heated plug in hoses but they cost a fortune for the length I'll need and I don't know how I'd plug them in, I don't have an outlet on the well or pump house so I'm not sure how much of a problem that would be. I've heard of using compressed air, I'm not sure how easy that would be with a long length of hose and needing to use it at least 2 times a day every day. I don't know if there's any heat tapes or insulating stuff you can put on a hose. If anyone has any ideas or adaption contraptions they use I'm all ears. Thanks.

Other than TOTALLY draining the hose each time it's used, there is no way to prevent freezing UNLESS you can roll/unroll the hose each time, and store it in a warm place when not in use

In the same manner that water supply pipes are protected from freezing, you could bury your hose leaving a loop of enough hose to use in a recess in the ground. You could open the recess, retrieve the hose, fill the water bowls, replace the hose and cover. It might be easier to simply bury a run of PVC pipe terminating in a hose connector.

It would need to be buried below the frost line for your locale.

Chris

I have chickens and a whole host of other animals here and all the watering devices are over one hundred feet from the source of water. Normally this is not an issue I just haul buckets in the winter and use a garden hose in the warmer months. But I've been having heart problems and was told not to be hauling water for a while (no heavy lifting) so I've been having friends and family help out for a few days. I feel like a pain in the butt and hate watching them have to do this for me, so I'm looking for ideas on how to use a hose in below freezing weather here. I know there are heated plug in hoses but they cost a fortune for the length I'll need and I don't know how I'd plug them in, I don't have an outlet on the well or pump house so I'm not sure how much of a problem that would be. I've heard of using compressed air, I'm not sure how easy that would be with a long length of hose and needing to use it at least 2 times a day every day. I don't know if there's any heat tapes or insulating stuff you can put on a hose. If anyone has any ideas or adaption contraptions they use I'm all ears. Thanks.
What I do is coil my hoses up in a garbage can that has a 60 watt ceramic heat emitter attached to the inside of the lid. It's like a light bulb but it's ceramic, not glass that can shatter. I know what you mean about dragging hoses. Ugh!

http://www.petco.com/product/5003/Zoo-Med-Repticare-Ceramic-Infrared-Heat-Emitters.aspx

Quote: You could use most any type of light fixture to hold it.
The simplest way would be to just use a "work light" and not worry about it being attached at all

What I do is coil my hoses up in a garbage can that has a 60 watt ceramic heat emitter attached to the inside of the lid. It's like a light bulb but it's ceramic, not glass that can shatter. I know what you mean about dragging hoses. Ugh!

http://www.petco.com/product/5003/Zoo-Med-Repticare-Ceramic-Infrared-Heat-Emitters.aspx
Great idea,
ya.gif
do you have any photos of how you hooked up the ceramic heat emitter to the inside of the lid?

Right now I use a 100' hose that I run up through the barn rafter so I can drain it effectively. Every year I look at the heated hoses, this year they were on sale 50' for $119.00.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom