Freezer Space

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by NHchickenflock, Oct 29, 2014.

1. NHchickenflock

NHchickenflock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    Gilmanton NH
    i assume this has been asked before but does anyone know how much freezer space is required per bird? Maybe a rule of thumb?
    I am going to be processing 150 Cornish x in 6 weeks and trying to plan ahead.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Will you be keeping them as whole birds or breaking them down? This will play into the overall space needed to store them

3. NHchickenflock

Aug 6, 2014
    Gilmanton NH
    I would say 95% will be whole birds

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

I have 25 CX's and 25 DP's in one 7 cubic ft freezer and it is about full. Half are whole birds half are cut up.

I have 20 more CX's to do, Averaging 8-10 lbs, I figure I need one 7 cu ft freezer forthem.

( I raised them slow and larger than most people)

5. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Also, you said you're processing in 6 weeks, but you didn't state how old the birds are now. Are you just getting them and processing in 6 weeks (2.5-5lbs), or are they older, and we're talking about 10lb birds going in the freezer?

6. NHchickenflock

Aug 6, 2014
    Gilmanton NH
    They will be 8 weeks
    Hoping around 6-8 lbs

7. NHchickenflock

Aug 6, 2014
    Gilmanton NH
    So around 21 CFT work?

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I raised 25 and 23 made it to slaughter. (lost a few in the first weeks) I usually like them whole, but I cut some in 1/2 and froze them for space. I'm liking the one's cut in 1/2 the best. (the whole ones take so dang long to cook, it's like roasting a turkey) These birds get large and 1/2 of one feeds a family of 4 for a minimum of 1 night with leftovers for my lunch. Some of them have fed us 2 nights and enough left over for my lunches. Mine were processed in batches, from 8-10 weeks.

We have 2 large freezers with other meat in them (steer and hog), so I can't really say how much freezer space they took up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by