freezing eggs???

I personally would not bother freezing eggs for long term storage. Even if they come out intact after few days of freezing, the same cannot be said after long term storage.

Here's a chart created by foodsafety.gov. http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/eggstorage.html

I'm not sure where the recommended 3-5 wks storage for raw eggs comes from, as I've stored mine in freezer for months and they stayed fresh, which is fine over winter period while the girls are not laying as much. When I have excess eggs, I give em to my neighbors.

Handy tip for boiling and peeling eggs. FRESH eggs do not peel well PERIOD. Leave them on the counter for a couple three days then boil with a little vinegar (in case an egg cracks) I start with cold water bring to boil and cook for 5 minutes Turn off heat and leave until you can put your hand in the water it also helps to peel eggs under running water.

PS I have gas stove

Here's my two cents on the best way to freeze eggs: Get freezer jars (usually made of plastic) in your favorite store's canning/preserving section. Crack as many eggs as will fit, use a hand blender to make them scrambled, screw on the lid, and store in the freezer. The jars are designed to be tolerant of expansion, and don't become brittle like most other generic/cheap plastic containers. The eggs last a long time when kept frozen, with none of the usual concerns (bacteria contamination from shells, change of texture/consistency, etc).

In the winter, all of our eggs freeze either during the night, or in the morning. Either way, we bring them inside and eat them. They don't taste a bit different. We've never purposefully froze them for storage, though.

I use silicone ice trays. Spray them with olive oil and crack my eggs into them. After they freeze I pop them out and throw them in a zip lock bag. Eazy peazy
1f600.png

i was getting almost 20 eggs a day and never froze them. i sell em quicker than i can keep them but i also have almost 15 chickens 3 geese 4 ducks 10 turkey after this years kill of me eating and the dam coyotes killing them off so i can say i never freeze eggs id rather eat make bake use em sell em or hatch em fyi

Last year, I froze eggs by cracking them in to ice cube trays then transferred them to a freezer bag. I found that the yolks got a bit weird when thawed so this year, I'm trying scrambling them then pouring them intuitive the ice cube trays. Fingers crossed that they turn out great. I already have a 2 gallon zip lock freezer bag full lol.

I boiled eggs for thanksgiving lastnight. I have Rhode Island Red hens and we let our eggs stay out of the fridge at room temp. Theese eggs had only been sitting out for appx. 3 days. When we peeled them the egg whites were tinted brown and the yoke was very dark and able to be seen underneath. We are new to brown eggs so is this normal for fresh brown eggs ?

I first read about doing this 2 years ago, and always steam my eggs now.  I steam for 20 minutes, but have never adjusted the time for the number of eggs.  I'll have to try that.

Steaming makes peeling fresh eggs so much easier, and I find the white to be less rubbery.and the yolk more flavorful.  It's worth the extra effort.
So when I boiled my extremely fresh eggs ( 3 days old ). That's why they don't look "normal" and have a brownish tint ?

Back
Top Bottom