Freezing weather (in teens!!!)

3eyondblessed

Chirping
Sep 19, 2023
Hi there, I have three (one year old) Ducks, and about 25 Chickens who range from 12 weeks to a year. I’m wondering how I can help them stay warm as it’s to be in the teens this coming week! TIA :)

Last edited:
Hi there, I have three (one year old) Ducks, and about 25 Chickens who range from 12 weeks to a year. I’m wondering how I can help them stay warm as it’s to be in the teens this coming week! TIA :)
down in the teens overnight or in the teens all day?

I have no comment on ducks, but for chickens - don’t do anything at all. Unless you have specific non-cold hardy breeds, they will be fine. Keep the water thawed (maybe with a base heater). If you have heating on the water then don’t keep it in a confined coop area as the moisture will dampen their feathers and chill them.

I have no comment on ducks, but for chickens - don’t do anything at all. Unless you have specific non-cold hardy breeds, they will be fine. Keep the water thawed (maybe with a base heater). If you have heating on the water then don’t keep it in a confined coop area as the moisture will dampen their feathers and chill them.
Thank you very much.

i also come out with a pot of boiling water a couple times during the day to add some to the top of their water buckets so they stay unfrozen because I only have one heated bucket, but with 12 ducks and two chickens back there and a couple of geese I use several water buckets now this wouldn’t work for you if you’re not home during the day and one more thing no swimming pools for the ducks when it’s Freezy out they don’t need it. edit to add. They need a lot of spots that are shielded from the wind as well. The wind is too much for them.

Back
Top Bottom