Fremont CA ordinance

TonysChickens

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2012
SF Bay Area
Well I was looking for Fremont's ordinance on keeping chickens and found them. Looks like the one on the site is wrong. Here is the correct and official one:
http://www.codepublishing.com/ca/fremont/

Sec. 3-5803. Chickens, rabbits, geese, ducks, bees, pigeons, doves: Permit required.

Chickens, ducks, geese, rabbits, pigeons, doves and bees may be kept for noncommercial recreational, educational or food source use on a lot used primarily for residential purposes, provided that an animal fancier’s permit has been obtained from the animal services supervisor.

(1) The number of such animals allowed shall be based on lot area (except as provided for in section 3-5804 of this chapter) as follows:

(a) Lots with an area of one acre or more: Not more than twenty adult rabbits or twenty-five chickens, including two roosters, or four geese or ten ducks or five beehives or a combination of forty pigeons and/or doves.

(b) Lots with an area of one-half acre or more: Not more than fifteen adult rabbits or twenty chickens, including one rooster, or three geese or six ducks or five beehives or a combination of thirty pigeons and/or doves.

(c) Lots with an area of ten thousand square feet or more: Not more than eight adult rabbits or ten chickens, roosters not permitted, or two geese or three ducks or three beehives or a combination of twenty-five pigeons and/or doves.

(d) Lots with an area of eight thousand square feet or more: Not more than six adult rabbits or six chickens, roosters not permitted, or one goose or two beehives or a combination of twenty pigeons and/or doves.

(e) Lots with an area of six thousand square feet or more: Not more than four adult rabbits or four chickens, roosters not permitted, or one goose or one beehive or a combination of fifteen pigeons and/or doves.

(2) The issue born of such animals which increases the total number upon the premises beyond the numbers permitted shall be removed from one lot no later than sixteen weeks from birth.

(3) Structures, fences or enclosures for the keeping of such animals shall be subject to the rules and regulations established by the animal services supervisor.

(Ord. No. 1116, § 1, 10-12-76; Ord. No. 1221, § 7, 1-24-78; Ord. No. 2214, § 1, 1-14-97.)

Given that the code above doesnt specify turkeys, does it mean it is OK to keep turkeys of any number, male and females? I wonder....

About 1 month ago I got a coop from Costco and went out to Livermore and purchased two pullets. Eggs are popping out, 1 a day per hen. I called Fremont and asked about a permit today. They looked up my address and said my lot was too small, it needs to be 6000 sf or larger and said I couldn't get a permit. I didn't tell them I already have the hens. I have renters on both side of me and was just going to tell them I have the hens and let me know if there was any problems. I will give them some eggs and hopefully all will be OK.

Any other suggestions to deal with the City of Fremont ordinance?

Make sure you are good with the neighbors! Make CERTAIN they don't mind. As long as your neighbors don't mind they won't turn you in. Then you should be ok. But if one neighbor minds then they are likely to call the city.check with neighbors on both sides and behind you if you have any. Make good and sure NONE of them mind you having your birds. The city only comes when people complain. As long as you don't get any complaints you should be alright. No roosters of course! Then hopefully if your neighbors don't mind then you should be alright.but do check with all neighbors because you don't want any complaints. Hope this helps and wish you the best.

Update 6/17/2014

I spoke to the neighbors and none were aware that I had chickens. I told them if there was any issues to come and talk to me. No complaints and the City of Fremont has not send me notices.

I have made special efforts to keep the run and coop clean. I don't want the odor being an issue. The hens can cluck at times but doesn't bother the neighbors.

The eggs are great. I've been getting double yokers!

Hi! We are buying a house in Fremont and I'd like to get a permit for chickens after we move in. Does anyone know who to contact at the City?

Also, I saw someone online mention that you can have two chickens without a permit, but would need to get a permit for more than two (up to the # allowable for the lot size). Does anyone know if that's true?

Thanks!

Hi! We are buying a house in Fremont and I'd like to get a permit for chickens after we move in. Does anyone know who to contact at the City?

Also, I saw someone online mention that you can have two chickens without a permit, but would need to get a permit for more than two (up to the # allowable for the lot size). Does anyone know if that's true?

Thanks!

Hi,

We recently moved to Fremont. So, if your lot size is under 6000 square feet, no chickens allowed at all? with or without a permit?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom