French Black Copper Maran not laying

RepoSharon72

Hatching
Jan 4, 2020
Birchwood, TN
We added a new hen to our flock she's a FBCM she was suppose to be almost 2 years old when we got her Feb. 8 2020. She is in the the rest of the flock of 9, she acts healthy, eats and drinks but we have yet to get an egg from her. I noticed that her waddles and comb are not the bright red like the other hens but it's been that way since we got her. I'm wondering if maybe she is way younger than we were told and maybe she hasn't even started laying yet. Is this a possible explanation?

I noticed that her waddles and comb are not the bright red like the other hens but it's been that way since we got her. I'm wondering if maybe she is way younger than we were told and maybe she hasn't even started laying yet. Is this a possible explanation?
Sounds like an 'out of lay' bird.
Or older.
I don't know why they'd tell you she was almost 2yo if she was a much younger bird.
Where did you get her?
Can you post some pics of her.
Could be that with the time of year, and moving her to a new place, she's not back in lay yet.
BCM are not the most prolific layers.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1585670331669.png

Update: Edna the French BCM layed her first egg for us yesterday which was exactly 2 months to the day that we got her. She came from a local farm. We are located near Chattanooga, TN.

Update: Edna the French BCM layed her first egg for us yesterday which was exactly 2 months to the day that we got her. She came from a local farm. We are located near Chattanooga, TN.
Is it beautiful?
Marans are often not stellar layers....but those 'chocolate' eggs are worth it.

Back
Top Bottom