French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Ouch. Thanks Sally, I needed that! Lol :hugs

2. kwhites634

kwhites634 Slow hands & an easy touch Premium Member

I hate when that happens, but it does all too often. At least you know there's a nice one in the area. Better luck next time [​IMG] How far was he?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  3. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Got him on trail cam within seconds before my shot. He was about 22 yards, and I used my 30 pin. Shot over him.
    He actually came back around, closer to me a few minutes later, and I got re-nocked, but too much brush between us. It was cool as crap really. :D

4. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Sounds like you had a great time anyways, wish you could have got him WV! I'm sure you will next time.

I spent the afternoon making the gate to the run that I was going to do yesterday, Still needs some finishing touches, but it works and keeps the chickens in the run. so much better than pulling wire over bent nails to get in and out.

5. kwhites634

Two seasons ago the same button buck came in to mere feet from my box blind the whole season. First time I saw him his spots were all but gone. Lots of times he wasn't more than 6-8' from me. Spent all afternoon one day bedded below me about 30'. I loved watching him, but soon learned that nothing else was coming in as long as he was there. Took a bunch of pics.

6. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Thanks! Where's the pics? :D

7. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    NO LAUGHING...........

From outside the run:
    [​IMG]

From inside the run:
    [​IMG]

I had almost all of the stuff left over from when I built my coop in CA. Put magnets at the top and bottom so I can close it while I'm working. (Already had the magnets.) I'm going to scrounge some of the antique shops around here to find an old wrought iron handle for the front, then I need concrete stones for the walkway into the coop - both to prevent mud and keep anything from digging in..

3 people like this.
  8. Cockatrice6420

Cockatrice6420 Chillin' With My Peeps

I put it in the water, the recipe I got it from called for Epsom salt as well, but that part scared me. I added just a glob probably a TBSP apple juice to my water.

9. kwhites634

Nothing to laugh about...looks just great from my house. Only way I could think of to improve it would be to move the whole kit & kaboodle to my back yard!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  10. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Today was the last day of archery season. I saw a very large, ancient buck who had no antlers at all, but a massive body. He was far out of bow range.

Tomorrow is firearm opener. Should be fun. Idiots everywhere shooting automatic weapons and racing around state land on ATVs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by