French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil True BYC Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    yeah I know..I'm not complaining......did you find out how much that resistor was going to cost?

2. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I don't know if you guys remember that pic I posted of the unusually large egg that I set. Well last night started the beginning of day 19, and I was adding water and checked the eggs real quick. They had not even started drawing down yet except for that monster egg. I thought I saw an internal pip. But then the shadow moved and I didn't see it again or hear peeping. But it was way ahead of the other eggs. This morning it's pipped!! I wonder why that one egg developed so much faster. And if the size is any correlation. (It's in the mini, so not much room for hot/cold spots). Looks like it will be a solo chick for awhile till the other eggs catch up. I'm not expecting any other action till tomorrow or the next day.

That's awesome! I've moved a LOT and don't really consider any place "home" until I sign a mortgage. That's great that you're there. I hope it's fun making it you're home! :)
    X2!

Handsome!!

We are at 10! But going up later today! :fl

3. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    not yet... but will soon. Full blast is a pain.

4. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    That's cool about that big egg! Usually the smaller ones hatch first. You are sure its not twins??

5. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    Twins would be cool....But I've read that doesn't always workout so well

6. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    It was a really easy egg to candle. You know how even though all the silkies eggs are a light color, some are really easy to see into and some are harder? Well the shell was easy to see into and I only saw one embryo developing. But I thought that too! It will be interesting to see. I wonder if it will sit there pipped forever too because it's so early.

Exactly. I know some people purposely try to hatch them. They get so excited when they start developing and then get so disappointed at hatch time. I jumped on the band wagon when I first did BYC and would see the threads for twin eggs, then after a couple I realized it almost always ends in failure.

1 person likes this.
  7. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Might be better if it sits there for a bit longer anyway, since the others might take a bit longer. Also, if its a bigger chick, it could need a little more rest. I tell ya, the mutt that hatched with my last ones, I thought was never gonna make it out, but it did and it was much bigger!

And I was the same way about the twins possibilities in the beginning. Now there's no way I would intentionally try it.

8. dan26552

dan26552 Flock Master

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop
    Isidore got so excited to see my sister this morning that he crowed.

9. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    [​IMG] just a tote with drain holes drilled in the bottom a window in the side[​IMG]a heated dog dish[​IMG]a hole in the side for the cord. This works best I had it down to 4 degrees with no ice. It also contains the water so less mess.

10. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    pics posted!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by