French frogs

LOL, We've always been financially conservative, and planned way in advance to take this year off.  "Need" is a relative term and we would be OK if we didn't rent it out.  That's why I'm so ambivalent about it.  We'll probably start putting the word out and see if we get any bites.  If we don't, that's OK too! :gig

Of course, smartest financially would be to rent out our house and live in the apartment - and bank the difference.  Nice to know that option is there if needed.

PS:  Your use of space sounds great and I love the "private library".  I call my dog & plant room "the conservatory", which is next door to the office.  (Used to be a dining room.)

Ahh a conservatory would be lovely....

We have a full apartment in the basement of out house. My MIL and FIL lived in it, with two of their children while the top part was built over winter. It makes a great suite when my parents come to visit and the rest of the time The living room works as my husbands mancave, The kitchen is my canning kitchen/craft room. One of the bedrooms is used as DH office. The Other bedroom remains a guest bedroom and where I keep the clean clothes to be folded. I even have a room I am turning into my Private Library (it its a book room but I like to sound pretentious)
My point is, the space can be used.
sounds amazing!...I need a bigger house! When I lived in Florida, I lived in new construction, 3x the size of my current house for $300 LESS a month! I still don't know why my husband wanted to move!!

Hi ya'll I've been lurking for awhile got some good laugh but I didn't want to be a creep so I figured I'd chime in. Oh n I don't mind being slapped every once in a while I kinda like it lol. I hope ya'll don't mind me taggin along.

Welcome!

Actually, those aren't the only breed that are sold like that... they list RIR's but they aren't true Heritage RIR's... same with most hatchery/feed store breeds...

I hate to ask this, but since I don't have any interest in breeding Am's, I haven't really done any research on them, so you guys are my library. My question is.... what's the easiest "dead giveaway" that its not a true Am??

Can I just come live with you?
hide.gif

x2!
big_smile.png

sounds amazing!...I need a bigger house! When I lived in Florida, I lived in new construction, 3x the size of my current house for $300 LESS a month! I still don't know why my husband wanted to move!!

We down-sized big time when we moved this last time. Well, this "house" is much smaller. Everything else, land, garages, out-buildings, etc greatly expanded!! And I didn't even know chickens and ducks would take over my life at that point!
lol.png

Sally been giving them chicken Ralgrow implants shame on you
wink.png
wink.png

I had such a hard time finding true Ameraucanas. I finally found someone showing 4-H and bought my first two pullets (which ended up being a pair) they are a nice color variation with my BCM flock and I am real excited to have just hatched 5 blue and a splash. I want some wheatens and have 2 eggs in the bator now, but I would love to add more, the fluffy cheeks are SO cute, and the eggs are wonderful as well!

Hey Brat, you know I aint gonna smak ya for leaving me like ma puce does on my thread when his um "minions" leave his yard and go wonderin around.. so here's a hug instead
hugs.gif

Hi ya'll I've been lurking for awhile got some good laugh but I didn't want to be a creep so I figured I'd chime in. Oh n I don't mind being slapped every once in a while I kinda like it lol. I hope ya'll don't mind me taggin along.
well speney! you too! soon y'all be over here
hugs.gif

He sure is handsome!! Hope he's a gentleman too.
He was a gentleman right up until he hopped into his cone, not easy on them big ones, they hit me the hardest. But whats gotta be done needs done when its time. But he went down easy with his brother and fed the family.

Ok, hatch update... hatch is over. Bator is turned off.

After the one duck hatched yesterday, I had 3 that still looked promising. I let the earliest one go to 48 hours from pip, checked on it... DIS.
hit.gif

Next one was at 36 hours, so before I went to bed, I checked it, and opened it up a bit, made sure the bill was clear. Saw a few active blood vessels. Next one was around 24 hours, so I just made sure the pip hole was clear and moist. Got up at 3 am, still same status, helped the other one a bit more. The membrane was really dry and holding him in. So I moistened it up, as I was telling myself that I should have left it alone! Got up at 5 am and both were out!!! YEAH! I'm not sure if the one I helped really needed my help, and I thought it was going to need culled...its neck was kinda twisted and it wasn't moving one leg. Within an hour it was fine and running about the bator.

Checked the rest of the eggs, all DIS. I think the humidity was too low for the ducks, but great for the chicks, so I don't think I'll hatch them together any more. I'm also wondering if the delayed humidity raising was partially to blame, but I'm still happy with the results.

3 pretty little duckies...

This is the one I assisted.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone! Had a response to the Minion comment, but thought better erase it. :lau

WV - as s screening for AMs, I look at color (BBS, Wheaten:Blur Wheaten mostly) beard & muffs, comb(pea), leg color (slate, no yellow). Any mixed feather color is usually the first giveaway., since the other colors Silver, Lav, Buff, etc are more rare.)

Back
Top Bottom