French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    :hugs

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Overrun With Chickens

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Ahh a conservatory would be lovely....

3. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    Howdy all.

Sure be glad when this project gets issued.

4. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    sounds amazing!...I need a bigger house! When I lived in Florida, I lived in new construction, 3x the size of my current house for $300 LESS a month! I still don't know why my husband wanted to move!!

5. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcome!

I hate to ask this, but since I don't have any interest in breeding Am's, I haven't really done any research on them, so you guys are my library. My question is.... what's the easiest "dead giveaway" that its not a true Am??

x2! [​IMG]

We down-sized big time when we moved this last time. Well, this "house" is much smaller. Everything else, land, garages, out-buildings, etc greatly expanded!! And I didn't even know chickens and ducks would take over my life at that point! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Hey Brat, you know I aint gonna smak ya for leaving me like ma puce does on my thread when his um "minions" leave his yard and go wonderin around.. so here's a hug instead [​IMG]

well speney! you too! soon y'all be over here [​IMG]

He was a gentleman right up until he hopped into his cone, not easy on them big ones, they hit me the hardest. But whats gotta be done needs done when its time. But he went down easy with his brother and fed the family.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    mornin Sally

howdy WV, how's them eggs?

any updates?

1 person likes this.
  8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Good Morning BertS [​IMG]

9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Ok, hatch update... hatch is over. Bator is turned off.

After the one duck hatched yesterday, I had 3 that still looked promising. I let the earliest one go to 48 hours from pip, checked on it... DIS. [​IMG]

Next one was at 36 hours, so before I went to bed, I checked it, and opened it up a bit, made sure the bill was clear. Saw a few active blood vessels. Next one was around 24 hours, so I just made sure the pip hole was clear and moist. Got up at 3 am, still same status, helped the other one a bit more. The membrane was really dry and holding him in. So I moistened it up, as I was telling myself that I should have left it alone! Got up at 5 am and both were out!!! YEAH! I'm not sure if the one I helped really needed my help, and I thought it was going to need culled...its neck was kinda twisted and it wasn't moving one leg. Within an hour it was fine and running about the bator.

Checked the rest of the eggs, all DIS. I think the humidity was too low for the ducks, but great for the chicks, so I don't think I'll hatch them together any more. I'm also wondering if the delayed humidity raising was partially to blame, but I'm still happy with the results.

3 pretty little duckies...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the one I assisted.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Good morning everyone! Had a response to the Minion comment, but thought better erase it. :lau

WV - as s screening for AMs, I look at color (BBS, Wheaten:Blur Wheaten mostly) beard & muffs, comb(pea), leg color (slate, no yellow). Any mixed feather color is usually the first giveaway., since the other colors Silver, Lav, Buff, etc are more rare.)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by