French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Those look very nice! Better than I remember.

:( :hugs

2. dan26552

dan26552 True BYC Addict

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop
    We got kits

3. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    So...by "accident", a.k.a. unintentional experiment, I learned:

My GQF 1402 can easily be pushed to excessive humidity as evidenced by condensation on the door.
    Humidity and temperature are very strongly interrelated; you cannot stabilize temps until humidity is stable, and vice-versa. But once the temp is set and the humidity is stable, the incubator is rock solid.
    If you set a very fresh egg with a tiny air cell and maintain moderately high humidity per GQF instructions, the air cells will go away completely.
    Eggs with no air cells do not develop embryos.

Of the 30 eggs I set for my customer, only 8 show any development. They are 13 days in so the blastodisc is no longer viewable, but there are no blood rings, and those with no air cells showing when candled are completely clear. I'll scramble them up for the birds tomorrow and get a better look inside. More than half of the viable eggs are from my young EEs.

I am going to start my next incubation of fresh eggs dry for the first several days and see if the results are any different. Since the number of viables is so low, I offered to set her a dozen more for free.

4. dan26552

dan26552 True BYC Addict

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop
    Pretty!

Nice looking rooster in the back there

5. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Already? So she was pregnant when you got her?

6. dan26552

dan26552 True BYC Addict

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop
    She was accidentally in with her brother when we got her 2 weeks ago.

7. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil True BYC Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    assuming they personally knew him that can be very rough. In 2001 my boss was killed in a motorcycle accident on the highway. Quite literally in my back yard...lucky I didn't go down there. But his best friend was a EMT and was one the first ones there....he is now an unemployed heroin addict....honestly my thoughts are with the family....Phil

8. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

My son is a fireman/EMT and that scenario scares the dickens out of me!

He's already been in one accident in the ambulance, he and his partner got hit head on. They walked away with minor injuries, but he loves his job.

9. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil True BYC Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    Yeah I'm sure....I worked with the guy later...only thing he could do after that was wash cars....I heard the accident and I'm so glad I didn't go down there....I would have but he was riding in a group do I didn't need to.
    I miss him ....he and I were supposed to go together down to Detroit that Monday for training on repairing Indian motorcycles...I had to go by myself because the shop needed me to. His widow who was on the bike with him...ended her life lady year

10. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Overrun With Chickens

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Dad is a first responder. He has seen some awful wrecks. One particular instance was during Halloween, he pulled a witch out from under her car, very dead. I know they give him nightmares. It is a very small town, so almost all the calls are people he knows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by