Fresh egg with an embyo?

chicky-little

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2015
BC
I wish I had take a picture, but I was so grossed out I threw it away immediately. I collect my eggs daily and cracked one open this morning only to find it very bloody and a red blob that may have been a 4-6 day old embryo inside. There is no way it sat outside for more than a day and would have gone into my fridge no less than 24 hours after being laid.
Could this be any embryo somehow or other concerns?
My hens have had a break over the winter and are just beginning to lay again.

I collect my eggs daily and cracked one open this morning only to find it very bloody and a red blob that may have been a 4-6 day old embryo inside. There is no way it sat outside for more than a day and would have gone into my fridge no less than 24 hours after being laid.
Could this be any embryo somehow or other concerns?
I agree with what others have posted that it may have been a blood spot or meat spot depending on location.. refer to this article to see examples..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
https://www.incredibleegg.org/eggcyclopedia/b/blood-spots/

Unless you some how missed it all those times and a bird was sitting on it to aid the development or you keep it nicely heated... I just don't see how it would be possible to truly be embryonic development at what the temps must be in BC right now. :confused:

Definitely get pics next time. :sick

I scramble and feed to the animals, in addition to always cracking my egg in a separate dish before adding. :)

Definitely get pics next time.

I scramble and feed to the animals, in addition to always cracking my egg in a separate dish before adding.
These^^

This is a 6 day old embryo:
1581287737378.png

This is the biggest blood spot I've had here, but I've seen worse on BYC.
1581287775436.png

I really don't think it was just a meat spot as this was quite big, probably the diameter the size of a quarter and 1cm thick and had more definition and texture to it than just blood. The egg itself was full of blood when I cracked it, but the blob was something else entirely.

I really don't think it was just a meat spot as this was quite big, probably the diameter the size of a quarter and 1cm thick and had more definition and texture to it than just blood. The egg itself was full of blood when I cracked it, but the blob was something else entirely.
All the more reason for pics and further dissection of 'blob'.
It could have been a piece of tissue, like a follicle, or a large blood clot.
Was there a normal sized yolk in there too?
Hopefully it won't happen again...but if it does, you know what to do.

Yes I will definitely take pictures and look at it further if it does happen again. Hopefully I won't have to though!

All the more reason for pics and further dissection of 'blob'.
It could have been a piece of tissue, like a follicle, or a large blood clot.
Was there a normal sized yolk in there too?
Hopefully it won't happen again...but if it does, you know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom