friendliest breed of duck?

yeah the pekin is great!! here is a picture of her she really is not that big. they are great, i think you'll be very happy hatching them. make sure you handle them A LOT lol thats what i did and she follows me everywhere. i bring her to work (i work at a zoo) and she follows me everywhere i go lol

a little back story... shes 24 weeks old and still and indoor pet lol that is why this picture is her in the bath tub lol. i finally built the coop and she will be going outside soon :-D i just love her too much to have her out there
29lkciu.jpg

did you raise them from hatchlings?

and im glad to hear about people having friendly social call ducks. ive been hearing about how skiddish and what-not they are. so i was kind of getting worried where i just ordered some call duck eggs to hatch. and i want so have freindly loving ducks!
smile.png

awww she is SO cute!
smile.png

your definitely making me want some pekin ducks! haha
and that so adorable that she follows you around everywhere. thats the kind of duck i want!

yes i think im definitely going to have to order some pekin eggs ive been keeping my eye on haha...does your silkie live indoors to? haha my silkie eggs should be coming tomorrow! im so excited. i think their beauuutiful! are they friendly as well?

that is all i own right now one silkie hen and one female pekin!! i loved having them raised together. honestly it was the best decision i ever made to do 2 instead of 8 because i could give it a lot better attention and that is why they are so much more friendlier. it was great!! heres a pic when they were young.

wh15pz.jpg

Here is the set up i have in the basement:
I have them in a dog whelping pen and the opening at the other side is where i put a tubbermade tub. i cut out the right size hole so it fit right up along side it. It is only because the ducks will drink the water and get it everywhere. it is much easier to take the tub out hose it out when their is poop or something in it. it worked out great !! heres the pics!!
mbtohu.jpg

s4x9p4.jpg

affuwp.jpg

it has never smelled bad at all. and because of the shavings it actually smells fresh.

i think you should do it!!!!

How to keep the mess down? Well, I usually keep Squeaky, my Khaki Campbell in a cage that has a steel sheet of metal on the side of the cage next to the wall. Her poop and food ends up on the steel and not on the wall. The cage sits on a tray that has horse pellets in it to absorb the water, etc. and reduce the smell. When it is time to change the pellets, they turn to sawdust. I let Squeaky out of her cage when I get home from class and or work. She does poop on the floor, for this issue I usually wipe it up and sanitize to area. But Squeaky is very sociable and she bugs me to death. She knows my voice and walking pattern and quacks at me when I am a floor level above her.

Back
Top Bottom