friendliest breed of duck?

Quote:
and yet sooo unattractive (to me anyways) haha
tongue.png

but yes. i do hear their ike big puppy-dogs those muscovies

oh, don't diss the muscovies. I think they are beautiful!!
It is fun to hear about your silkie. I am hoping to do that with one of my showgirls when they hatch.

My buff is pretty friendly. She was flock raised like my khaki and my runner, but she has warmed up to the point that she will eat from my hand.

I have one black bellied whistling duck that will sleep in my lap and loves to be held, gives duck kisses and eats from my hands... I lost it's mate year before last to raccoon.. Got two more blk bellied whistling ducks last june... They aren't as friendly but I am still working with them.. they will eat from my hands and love treats the last two are too keen on being held... Fred knows that shovel means digging for worms and comes a runnin and a flyin to look for worms and grubs ... the other two follow him... LOL.. at least I think fred is a him.. I know that one of the other two is a male and suspect the other is a female.. They were playing show and tell and Hewie gave his gender away the other day. The other two kept theirs a secret. I won't know until eggs start to appear in a few months what the other two might be.. I don't know how to vent sex.. and don't want to hurt them trying..

Oh I have heard that Australian spotted are very freindly ducks. I bet just about all of them would be friendly as long as they got a lot of attention, treats and love..

yeah i would definitely agree with doing a few at a time. i know it will be a pain to eventually intergrade all of them but hey.. if you want friendly birds its a sacrifice to take.

IMHO, female musocies are SOOOOOOOOOO cute and friendly. The males are known floggers but if you plan on hatching out future generations, they are a necessary evil.

Good luck with the hatching of call duck eggs. I hear they are so thin shelled and fragile they hardly ever make the shipment let alone the incubating process. I am letting me calls sit their own. I do think calls are the friendliest, but I think it all comes down to working with them from babies. I had a very friendly rouen that I raised from a chick, a white pekin that would follow me, but my indian runners did seem to be the ones who attached to us humans the most.

I have never heard of any ducks,regeardless of breed nor upbringing,that can be tamed to the level that a chicken,or heck,even a turkey,can!
That said,my Anconas & Rouens are SO sweet,they will follow me around,"bill" me for food,and coolest of all, they will answer me when I call, "Duck duck duck!!" across the yard!! They will also come waddlin' when I cll for them.
But,as far as "cuddling" ducks,forget it. It's very rare,& not good to force them to go agaist their nature.

Back
Top Bottom