Friendliest Chicken Breed

The Modern Game Bantam hens we have are very friendly. They come trotting up and want to be picked up all the time. They talk and talk while your are holding them--very cute.

My cochins are gentle. My d'uccles are sweet. My buttercups love attention. I have a couple polish hens that follow me. It depends on the bird. They are all so different. Giving them lots of treats and earning their trust really helps. They know I'm not going to hurt them and seems like as they get older they learn. My chicks always run from me.

Whatever type of chick you get, here is my advice--raise them in the house! Play with them every day, and hand feed them treats every day. I have a large rabbit cage that I use as a brooder for the first few months. We keep it right in the house, so the chicks see us all day long. If you have a treat container right near the cage, you can feed them as you pass by. Let your kids hold the chicks while watching tv. If your birds are used to you as babies, they will usually be very tame as adults.

My silkies are freindly but nothing like my OEGB. My OEGB roo loves to fly up and land on me. He loves to be petted along with the hens:)

Quote:
No, her legs are yellow. She is supposed to be a California White, but has so few spots I just thought it won't make much of a difference calling her a white leghorn. (Which is sort of what she is).

I thought that she might be a CA white but I have only seen picture and I couldn't see the legs real well. Is she a good layer? They are supposed to be.

Quote:
No, her legs are yellow. She is supposed to be a California White, but has so few spots I just thought it won't make much of a difference calling her a white leghorn. (Which is sort of what she is).

I thought that she might be a CA white but I have only seen picture and I couldn't see the legs real well. Is she a good layer? They are supposed to be.

Yes, she is an excellent layer, but that doesn't do me any good because she always eats the eggs!
barnie.gif

Thanks guys! My friendliest are my leg Horns...I have Rhode Island reds, Barred Rocks and Leghorns...My Leg Horns are the ones who asked to be picked up or jump up in my lap when I sit outside with them. I'm thinking about getting some baby chicks at Easter time...Our feed store does not offer too many different breeds...I have 10 girls and enjoy watching their crazy antics and interaction with each other in the afternoons when I let them free range on my 1/2 acre yard. They are so well behaved ...they know their ranging limit and if they go too far, they look back at me and all I have to say is get back over here and they all come running. Of course I trained them with a plaster container of mealworms. I just shake it and they know the routine ...Now all I have to say is get over here and they do. Thank God the neighbors love them too...Often they come over and sit with us and enjoy the chickens also...They bring them pasta or left over salad etc. Occassionally a cocktail for me!

Back
Top Bottom