Friendly rooster breeds

The breed I've heard about people having problems with most is Rhode Island Red roos, at least with their not liking people. I've never raised RIRs (or had a roo, matter of fact) but when I looked into it, it seemed they were kind of infamous.
With it, though, seemed to come extra attention to predators and being territorial, and guarding a flock well. We have a friend who currently has a RIR who is pretty good, although when we were taking care of their farmette he seemed on edge with me. Needless to say, I didn't turn my back to him! They have gone through many RIR variations and have had to get rid of a lot of them because they were aggressive.

I have heard a lot of good things with bantam roos, tho. Good hen to male ratio - if you're into breeding, they can take care of a lot of hens. Their size makes them less dangerous to humans, they are kind to the girls, and mean with predators. My other friend has a bantam roo who you can pick up. Also they are light and won't squish anyone. Being smaller, they also eat less feed, which is a good thing because they don't lay! You have a good protector for cheaper.
Anyways, this isn't from first hand expirence, but this is my take on it.

Back
Top Bottom