Friends flock not laying as expected...advice if poss please...

JeanGenie

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 30, 2009
Birmingham, UK
Hi

A good friend has just phoned to ask me for some advice regarding his flock. He has 11 chickens all around 21 weeks of age. They are warrens and RIR crossed light sussex. He has now been feeding them fresh veg, layers mash and corn for a few weeks. But his problem is out of the 11 he gets around only 1 or 2 eggs a day.

Should he be doing or feeding them something different, or is he expecting to much a little to soon. In my newbie opinion and only having a few Pekin chickens who didnt lay until around 22 to 24 weeks feel he is a little early with this problem.

Can anyone advise me so I can pass on this information.

Sorry if you need any more info please let me know...

Thanks from over the pond

Dal

He's expecting too much too soon, IMO.
Give them more time and also, wouldn't hurt to make sure the majority of their diet is the layer feed. The corn and veggies are okay, but they need the complete nutrition of their layer food. Given the choice, most chickens will go for what they love the most first - the corn.

Hi

Thanks for that, strangely enough I have only had my flock a few short months and it seemed even to me that he was expecting far to much to soon.

My little Pekins only started to lay around the 24 weeks of age and even then only 2 maybe 3 times a week. This got better as time went on until they heard my chicks in the incubator cheeping away and went all broody on me. So I stuck 4 eggs under each of them and they hatched as well.... Its wonder ful to seem both mom's wandering around the coop and garden with there adopted babies in tow...

Again thanks for the help I have just passed on your infomation and he said to say thanks as well....

Best wishes

Dal

Agreed

They may be holding out for the treats and not eating the layer food.

I would suggest a strict diet of layer food until consistent laying is produced then slowly give them treats in moderation.

Back
Top Bottom