Friendship rules

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

Whats not to love!

I wish I knew people like you and your DH! I like people that know how to be themselves no matter what. I hang out with serious people, don't get me wrong they are pleasant but after a long week, I just want to let down my purple hair and have some fun, be goofy. I have one friend that won't even go out to dinner alone with me for fear that we will spontaneously burst into a sexual frenzy. I don't know if this is a typical American view point but it certainly wasn't how I was raised. You don't monkey with your friends if you're not single. Simple, done, nuff said.

Quote:
You don't monkey around with ANYONE unless BOTH are single. Yep yep!

But we sure do have fun, me and Ken, with his single friend who is a total ding bat (dude). AS Ken says "Strong as an ox and almost as smart"
gig.gif

Quote:
Maybe you just need to go by yourself, therre certainly is nothing wrong with that. Mike and I like to have fun, and our single friend hang out with us two, even though we are
old.gif
compared to them.

I think friendship is a give and take, and sometimes on person is more than 50% there and sometimes its the other. If it is completely unbalanced, then perhaps it is time to end the friendship.

I have had one friend for 34 years, since we were 8 years old and we tied in a breast stroke race. Our parents became lifelong friends and we have stayed close through separate colleges, living across the country, marriages, divorces, children, miscarriages, pets, exes, poverty, wealth, lay offs... umm, I can't think of anything else. We have NEVER had an argument and believe me, we think and believe very differently about a lot of topics. When one of them comes up, we express our views and agree to disagree and try to learn and broaden our horizons with opposing oppinions and then let it drop before we blow it with an insensitive comment. We live hours away from each other, and only see each other a couple times a year, but she knows every thought and feeling I have ever had and still loves me!!

The rest of my friends I have had for at least 10 or more years and they mean the world to me. I would do anything for them that I could possibly do and they for me. Some are my co-workers, some old college friends, and some from church. People want and need to know they are loved and cared about no matter what and when you do that, they feel cherished and friendships flourish.

Maybe you just need to go by yourself, therre certainly is nothing wrong with that. Mike and I like to have fun, and our single friend hang out with us two, even though we are compared to them

Unfortunately, I eat all but my Saturday dinner meal alone. My hubby is usually taken out to dinner, gets home late, has company (no wives allowed) parties to attend, or is out of town. I just want to enjoy a meal with another living human being on occasion. I'm usually OK being by myself but lately I almost can't stand the quiet. I'm not sure what has changed in me to cause this but I can't seem to find the way back to my old self.

Quote:
You are lonely! If you are a believer, join a Bible study at someone's house during the week, go to a gym, join a book club. You need to find out what your options are to meet more people. And it doesn't mean you have to be life long friends with whoever you meet either. It is nice to have causal friends for coffee, dinner, a few drinks, etc. If I were closer we would go have steak!

Quote:
I have friend like that. Shortly after I became engaged, she just stopped talking to me. Completely cut me off. With no explanation whatsoever. I left messages, I emailed her, etc. Nothing yet and it has been almost a year.
sad.png

debiraymond, I'm in the same boat as you although the other way around. My friend got engaged and has started drifting away. It's been really hard as I don't know if I like the person she is turning into. I do understand that it seems to take a while for people to settle out after getting married. She was never the sort of person to have many friends and we were best friends forever. Now that she is involved with his side of the family it's like her old friends are not as important anymore. I hardly ever hear from her anymore and I get frustrated making all the calls. It would be nice if she reached out a little more often. I always say at the end of a cal..."Call me".....she doesn't. She also used to be sooooo easy going. Fashion and status didn't mean a whole lot to her.....now it means a lot more. His side of the family from what I've heard looks down on buying cloths from places like WalMart, even though there's nothing wrong with that. I think part of the problem is that I'm not particularly impressed with his side of the family. I don't dislike them, I just don't like them and I feel they place too much value in status and being with the 'in' crowd as opposed to truely important things. They dot all over her too, which is good in a way as she grew up from a family that didn't have a lot of money. I just wish I didn't feel like she was their latest Babie doll that they are playing with. As much as it sucks, if she's happy, I'm happy even if she isn't in my life anymore.

UC

Back
Top Bottom