Frizzle or frazzle?

Poodlemum

Crowing
Aug 26, 2021
Northern Utah
This little fellow is 10ish weeks old, TSC bin. Poor bean couldn’t fly out of the brooder box (they have a box with wire cover in the coop and to integrate, I leave it propped open so the hens lay in there. It blends the groups very quickly). I’ve never had a frizzle before and he looks quite naked to my eye 😅 Both Cochin pullets feathered in quickly, but he and the mystery bantam likely cockerel are being very slow to feather. The red boy was up on the #1 perch spot last night though and is ruling the coop already lol

8DE2E81A-BC61-4E19-B3CE-11B4F781F330.jpeg
FD340C73-EF6A-4DFF-B57F-7477A2E24871.jpeg
920A9EFE-0854-4FB7-B7CC-588CB878637B.jpeg
E4E42C9E-606A-402C-8F06-E84464125421.jpeg
1E94E338-4261-447A-98F5-570455F29AE4.jpeg

This little fellow is 10ish weeks old, TSC bin. Poor bean couldn’t fly out of the brooder box (they have a box with wire cover in the coop and to integrate, I leave it propped open so the hens lay in there. It blends the groups very quickly). I’ve never had a frizzle before and he looks quite naked to my eye 😅 Both Cochin pullets feathered in quickly, but he and the mystery bantam likely cockerel are being very slow to feather. The red boy was up on the #1 perch spot last night though and is ruling the coop already lol

View attachment 3613336View attachment 3613337View attachment 3613338View attachment 3613339View attachment 3613340
That's one daziling frazzle

Nooooooo 😭 Would it be more humane to cull with the rest of our cockerels? I wasn’t keeping any boys this year, but was going to make an exception for him so I could frizzle my other chicks

Are the feathers brittle? He can still make frizzle offspring, as long as you don't have any frizzle females. @JacinLarkwell would you agree that this is a frazzle? I'd keep him, and see how it goes. If he's showing signs of struggling or having a bad life quality, I'd cull later on

Nooooooo 😭 Would it be more humane to cull with the rest of our cockerels? I wasn’t keeping any boys this year, but was going to make an exception for him so I could frizzle my other chicks
Definitely a frazzle. He is likely to have some internal issues, so dont blame yourself if he dies young. But I had a darling frazzle pullet that was probably the happiest, friendliest chicken. So I would say that you can just keep an eye on him and make sure that he seems happy.

When winter comes, you'll have to make sure he doesn't get too cold, because those naked patches likely will grow as feathers break.

Definitely a frazzle. He is likely to have some internal issues, so dont blame yourself if he dies young. But I had a darling frazzle pullet that was probably the happiest, friendliest chicken. So I would say that you can just keep an eye on him and make sure that he seems happy.

When winter comes, you'll have to make sure he doesn't get too cold, because those naked patches likely will grow as feathers break.
The winter is what I’m most concerned about. Last year was -29°F and we definitely can’t keep him inside. Possibly in a prefab with heating pad though, but our electrical is tenuous 😕 Is it like dogs and he shouldn’t be bred? That will make things difficult if I need to separate

The winter is what I’m most concerned about. Last year was -29°F and we definitely can’t keep him inside. Possibly in a prefab with heating pad though, but our electrical is tenuous 😕 Is it like dogs and he shouldn’t be bred? That will make things difficult if I need to separate
Well, as far as I'm aware the problems come from the fact that he's a frazzle, so any frizzle offspring shouldn't have a problem, but don't I could be wrong
All my reading has said that it is the presence of two frizzle genes that causes frazzled feathers and the health problems associated with them. If bred only to normal hens, those offspring will be frizzles, with only one gene and thus none if the health issues associated with frazzles

Back
Top Bottom