Frizzle, Silky or Poor Breeding RIR?

CluckyJay

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Crossville, Tennessee
I have never had frizzles but my RIR roo has some funky feathering going on. He is on the same diet as the rest of the chickens and they are all fine. He has has it since he got feathers. They are all from McMurray and I was wondering if they ever have RIR that are frizzled or silky? I am not too thrilled with it because I have never liked frizzles. He doesn't look AS frizzled as a regular frizzle but, blech. :|

Are there frizzle or silky RIRS?

I'll try and post a photo tomorrow.

Last edited:
This mutation can oqure very rare in any breed.I used to have frizzled Leghorn -resque from egg farm.In MM catalog they do not sale frizzled RIR

Last edited:
Any breed can be frizzled. I once read something that said RIR were one of the more common frizzled breeds, but I have never seen one or known of anyone to have them.

Here he is--none of my chickens have mites so it isn't mite damage. He was like this when he first got feathers and its just weird-looking. Maybe a silky feather gene or poor breeding? I have no idea.

80743_rirroofeathers.jpg

80743_rirroofeathers1.jpg

80743_rirroofeathers2.jpg

80743_rirroofeathers3.jpg

His feathers feel more like silk hair than regular feathers. The wing feathers are damaged from being attacked by the other roos at treat time.

Thanks.
big_smile.png

Your bird does not look frizzled to me at all, but it does look like he has silkied feathers. I think there were some people working on silkied Easter Eggers (or maybe they were Ameraucanas - I forget now), so it may be possible.

How bad of an idea would it be to breed for this? He has a great temperament. He's hatchery though. I love silkies and that would be awesome. Does anyone breed silky RIRS?

Thanks!

He doesn't have mites. I checked him thoroughly over the past several weeks. He has been this way since he got feathers. He even had one come in on his wing completely corkscrewed.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom