Frizzle, Silky or Poor Breeding RIR?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CluckyJay, Jun 8, 2011.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I have never had frizzles but my RIR roo has some funky feathering going on. He is on the same diet as the rest of the chickens and they are all fine. He has has it since he got feathers. They are all from McMurray and I was wondering if they ever have RIR that are frizzled or silky? I am not too thrilled with it because I have never liked frizzles. He doesn't look AS frizzled as a regular frizzle but, blech. :|

Are there frizzle or silky RIRS?

I'll try and post a photo tomorrow.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    This mutation can oqure very rare in any breed.I used to have frizzled Leghorn -resque from egg farm.In MM catalog they do not sale frizzled RIR

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  3. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Thanks for the reply. I will try and snap a shot of him in a minute. Guess it would be kind of neat to have a frizzle RIR. lol

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Any breed can be frizzled. I once read something that said RIR were one of the more common frizzled breeds, but I have never seen one or known of anyone to have them.

5. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Here he is--none of my chickens have mites so it isn't mite damage. He was like this when he first got feathers and its just weird-looking. Maybe a silky feather gene or poor breeding? I have no idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

His feathers feel more like silk hair than regular feathers. The wing feathers are damaged from being attacked by the other roos at treat time.

Thanks. [​IMG]

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    He doesn't look frizzled, but he does appear to have partially silkied feathering.

7. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Your bird does not look frizzled to me at all, but it does look like he has silkied feathers. I think there were some people working on silkied Easter Eggers (or maybe they were Ameraucanas - I forget now), so it may be possible.

8. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    How bad of an idea would it be to breed for this? He has a great temperament. He's hatchery though. I love silkies and that would be awesome. Does anyone breed silky RIRS?

Thanks!

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Have you checked him for mites? he looks to have a bad case of feather mite.

Chris

10. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    He doesn't have mites. I checked him thoroughly over the past several weeks. He has been this way since he got feathers. He even had one come in on his wing completely corkscrewed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by