Frizzle thread

Pics
I recently hatched some Bantam Cochins. They're all normal but one. I'm not sure what the color is. I'm assuming a pullet since her feathers are coming in so fast. But is she a calico? If that's the case she can't be shown at the county fair, except AOV, which means she couldn't receive any championship titles. Correct? If a frizzle is shown, they have to be standard to that breed. So all approved color rules apply here also?

One other thing, does it really matter who's carrying the frizzle gene? I think my frizzle above is a pullet, but I have no frizzled roos to breed to the smooth. On paper, as long as one of the parents are carrying the frizzle gene, I should get some frizzles? This isn't a "passed by male only" gene is it?

I have a smooth little cockerel I believe whose father was a nice silkied serama and mother a black and white partridge frizzled serama. He is turning out nice. He will go good with your fizzle and you should get frizzled chicks if you are interested.

I've decided to have a frizzle specific pen, so I bought these beauties from the Carolina Chickenstock. The roo will obviously be in a pen of non-frizzles, and the hens in with a Silkie rooster.

Tolbunt Polish roo- I am so in love with this bird...

Sizzle hen... Her head is on the right. Hard to tell one end from the other!

And frizzle Cochin hen...

Last edited:
I'm really proud of how my curly cochin. I mean he doesn't look amazing, but I've been keeping him alone and all of his feathers have came in and he is just super pretty. I think I'm going to breeed him to my smooth cochin and see how they do together.
big_smile.png

My favorite little frizzled showgirl. She has a bow tie and a cute little beard. Black and gold feathers. I just love this awkward stage.

Well I got this darling little frizzle today, and the lady who gave it to me said she had too many roosters, and was downsizing...well after getting this chicken, I'm almost positive its a hen?! Here are a few things I've noticed...the comb and wattles are smaller, the lady said He's Never crowed, lol, walks like a hen and sounds like a hen? What does everyone think? Thank you!

Well I got this darling little frizzle today, and the lady who gave it to me said she had too many roosters, and was downsizing...well after getting this chicken, I'm almost positive its a hen?! Here are a few things I've noticed...the comb and wattles are smaller, the lady said He's Never crowed, lol, walks like a hen and sounds like a hen? What does everyone think? Thank you!

I see a hen, but I'm not very experienced with frizzles. My only frizzle is a roo and he's about 15 weeks, but his comb is already bigger than that. How old is this darling supposed to do?

I see a hen, but I'm not very experienced with frizzles. My only frizzle is a roo and he's about 15 weeks, but his comb is already bigger than that. How old is this darling supposed to do?
well all she told me is that she got him a month ago. So im not sure how old? But her head isn't red. It's pink?! The way she walks too says probably a hen lol

It looks like a hen to me. How big is it? The size of say, a 7 week old chick or nearly adult size? If its still chick size, I'd say it was a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom