Frizzle thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Aug 31, 2010.

1. dolfi

dolfi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    kissimmee, florida
    They look polish to me

2. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sandhill preservation sells what they list in their catalog as mixed frizzles.They are described as large layer type birds,straight combs and no feather legs and mixed in color and of course frizzle.

3. MistyMountain

MistyMountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    I have a couple frizzle questions: First off, do they molt worse than smooth birds? Also, how do they handle cold weather? Are they able to adequately trap air under their feathers to insulate themselves?

4. Reindeerdreams

Reindeerdreams Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    We are here in Central Florida and we have gotten down to 22 degrees and our frizzles do fine. However, I do provide a heat lamp in one corner of the coop for them just in case they need it. I am also going to make two goat warmers from 55 gal barrels for next years cold snaps. Mine are as hardy as reg. chickens and oh so pretty.

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I have 2 frizzled bantam Cochin hens ~ we have had temps in the negatives and single digits for the past few weeks and they do fine. I did keep them in the coop with all the others a couple of days. The coops were in the 20's ~ no heat lamps ~ just body heat from 55 chickens. My frizzles are 3 & 4 years old.

I have found that they do seem to look worse than other chickens when they molt.

6. NightOwl3

NightOwl3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    I am wondering the same thing. I've already decided we want silkies and now I am looking at the frizzles and loving their look too. But I want to make sure they are docile for my kids.

7. Reindeerdreams

Reindeerdreams Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    Our Cochin Frizzles are very sweet and ride on my son's shoulders like a parrot. She is adorably sweet.

8. NightOwl3

NightOwl3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    Good to know, she sounds sweet!

9. chicNlove

chicNlove Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2013
    Connecticut Shoreline
    Does anyone have lavender frizzles for sale?

10. chickenaddict99

chickenaddict99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    I love my frizzles! They are so sweet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by