Frizzle thread

Pics
Quote:
haha, thanks.

Dorking, Houdan and Faverolle also have five toes
smile.png

This is Mr. Sizzles...he is over one yr old and I haven't had him more than about 4 weeks now. He is a Silkie Frizzle which is as I understand it....a Sizzle. He has the 5 toes and everything. I would love to have him breed with some ladies that I have but just don't want to keep him ad deal with hatchlings, etc.....Would love to have a hen off of him or at east a Frizzle as a roo.; Need to rehome him.. is anyone interested.?

I have had so many laughs watching my Mr. Sizzlle out my back door today. My 2RIR, 1 GLW, 1 Brahma are penned in a run but I have allowed my sizzle (who's just been with us 3 weeks) to free range. He discovered my ladies. Their coop/run is under the side of the wing of our shed. He has walked around it from one end to the other.....can't figure out how to get in !! LOLOL His pen has been behind theirs so he's been able to see them thru the wiring. !!!! A personality all his own...! LOL ladies man I guess !

I want to have a few frizzled chickens in my mixed flock just for looks. My flock is just a "fun flock" for eating eggs not hatching eggs although we do have one NN roo just because I like hearing a rooster crow. In my case where I would not be breeding for frizzled, does it matter if I have both frizzled hens and frizzled roos or should I only have either hens or roos?

Thanks!
Rose66

I want to have a few frizzled chickens in my mixed flock just for looks. My flock is just a "fun flock" for eating eggs not hatching eggs although we do have one NN roo just because I like hearing a rooster crow. In my case where I would not be breeding for frizzled, does it matter if I have both frizzled hens and frizzled roos or should I only have either hens or roos?

Thanks!
Rose66

Well, I am not understanding the question I guess. If you are running all together then you will have no idea who is breeding who. Don't matter what you are breeding for. But if you mean you are NOT going to hatch any eggs at all then it don't matter, except I would be keeping an eye out for hens being abused, or any sign of the Frizzled hens losing feathers or having sore, naked back.
Remember chickens are going to breed with what they can, and when ever they can.
Hope that helps a little.

Thanks!
Rose66
Found this on Frizzle Gene Board.: You only need one copy of the frizzle gene. In fact two copies creates a Frazzle. The birds will have brittle feathers that break or don't grow right. I have heard they do not thrive. So you really only want one copy of the gene. If you take one bird with the frizzles and breed with a smooth feather you will get half and half but at least you will not get a Frazzle.
I have heard that is you breed frizzle to frizzle then you chance of having a more brittle feather in the offspring or one that doesn't have the feather covering needed to make it look pretty. I have a frizzle roo but would not take the chance of interbreeding just because of comments made on here....not from my experiences by any means...I'm a newbie also.

I got this little girl as a Red Frizzle... Anyone think she's a sizzle or a Frazzle?? I don't know!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom