Frizzle thread

Pics
I'm looking for large fowl Frizzled Easter Egger or Olive Egger eggs fertilized by a Transylvanian Naked Neck rooster, or large fowl TNN eggs fertilized by an Olive/Easter egger roo. PM me with pics and prices, please! I raise very nice Paint showgirls, so trading would be great. Check out our website at www.compoundpoultry.weebly.com.

Last edited:
I recently hatched some Bantam Cochins. They're all normal but one. I'm not sure what the color is. I'm assuming a pullet since her feathers are coming in so fast. But is she a calico? If that's the case she can't be shown at the county fair, except AOV, which means she couldn't receive any championship titles. Correct? If a frizzle is shown, they have to be standard to that breed. So all approved color rules apply here also?

One other thing, does it really matter who's carrying the frizzle gene? I think my frizzle above is a pullet, but I have no frizzled roos to breed to the smooth. On paper, as long as one of the parents are carrying the frizzle gene, I should get some frizzles? This isn't a "passed by male only" gene is it?

I recently hatched some Bantam Cochins. They're all normal but one. I'm not sure what the color is. I'm assuming a pullet since her feathers are coming in so fast. But is she a calico? If that's the case she can't be shown at the county fair, except AOV, which means she couldn't receive any championship titles. Correct? If a frizzle is shown, they have to be standard to that breed. So all approved color rules apply here also?

One other thing, does it really matter who's carrying the frizzle gene? I think my frizzle above is a pullet, but I have no frizzled roos to breed to the smooth. On paper, as long as one of the parents are carrying the frizzle gene, I should get some frizzles? This isn't a "passed by male only" gene is it?

First, I think your chick might be partridge. I don't show so I know nothing else on that matter. Second, yes you will get some frizzles and some smooth if you breed a pullet to a smooth.

Your chick looks red to me, but it could be partridge. All the red Cochins I've seen have all been very smutty. They look like production reds with feathered feet. If your chick came from a hatchery or hatchery eggs, it probably red. Or, if the person you got eggs/chicks from got theirs from a hatchery.

So, where did your chick/eggs come from? Did you see the breeding flock if they came from a breeder? If so, what did they look like (all the same colors, multiple colors together)?

And no, it doesn't matter which parent is frizzled. As long as one of them is, some of the offspring will be too. Just don't breed frizzled to frizzled :)

And yes, if the chick isn't a recognized variety it must be shown AOV, which means it can only place amongst those off colored birds. They can't win titles like champion or best of breed :)

Back
Top Bottom