1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frizzle?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by astrid.mary, Nov 21, 2011.

1. astrid.mary

astrid.mary Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    South Otago, New Zealand
    May be a silly question but ... Having a cuddle today with my Gold Laced Wyandotte 'chick', now about 7 weeks old and mostly got her (well, hopefully her) big-bird feathers, and I noticed that some of her wing feathers are kind of curly, they curl so that the underside of the feather faces up. Is this frizzle? All the frizzles I've seen (in pictures) are frizzly all over, but can a chook be just partly frizzly?

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    can you post pictures?

3. astrid.mary

Nov 19, 2011
    South Otago, New Zealand
    No, can't at the moment sorry.

4. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    If she was a frizzle you would have noticed right when the first wing feather stubs started poking through. I'm not sure what is going on with her feathers. I have never heard of the frizzle gene showing up this late in developement

5. astrid.mary

Nov 19, 2011
    South Otago, New Zealand
    Ok, thank you. It's only about 5 feathers on each wing so I guess just some random confused feathers. Will be interesting to see if they stay like that.

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    A frizzle @ 6 weeks.

[​IMG]

7. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    This is my frizzle at like four days. You can definately tell as the feathers are coming in.

[​IMG]

I think OP is saying that her bird has a few "frizzle" feathers, but for the most part has normal feathering [​IMG] I am interested to see pictures, just to see if it is possible that it is a partially frizzled bird, for as far as I know, the frizzle trait is either expressed, or it isn't, so I do not believe it is possible for the frizzle gene to be only partially expressed. A picture would help us determine wether what you are seeing is frizzling, or something else.

Is there a reason you cannot post a pic yet? Do you just not have enough posts? You could PM one of us the pic, and we can post it for you?

8. crazypetlady

crazypetlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you sure that is not a sizzle?

9. astrid.mary

Nov 19, 2011
    South Otago, New Zealand
    Seriously? What's a sizzle??
    I borrowed a friend's camera and took some pics but now waiting for her to find usb cable so that I can get them onto my computer. Will post them when I get that sorted (I should have enough posts to do that by then).
    Noticed today that she has a few curled over feathers on her tail too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by