From 20 to 16

Too bad, they LOVE being out.

Sorry for your loss.

I often wonder how many times we pass on our human emotions to animals that may or may not feel any way the same as we do. I would love to let my chickens free range on my property, I have 3 wooded acres. But I have confined my girls to a chicken run with fencing and bird netting on top to protect them from predators. So far, I have not suffered a predator attack.

My neighbor free ranges his chickens, and they also wander into the woods. He loses all of them every year to predators, mostly coyotes, and has to start over with a new flock. I have never figured out why he continues to do it this way. They coyotes know where to come for chicken dinner.

Yeah, I think about that too. I imagine some people enjoy getting those cute little chicks and raising them at home, and then watching them run around the yard doing what chickens do, and then if a predator takes them tell themselves it was not their fault. Then they get to start all over again with the cute little chicks...

Before I got my chicks, I talked to our local 4H poultry coordinator and he told me similar stories of parents telling him that they had "bad luck" with their chickens and that they got killed by predators. He always asks them if all the birds were killed in one attack. They always say no, they lost a few birds every now and then over a period of months. To which he responds to them, you don't have bad luck, you have bad management.

Yeah, I think about that too. I imagine some people enjoy getting those cute little chicks and raising them at home, and then watching them run around the yard doing what chickens do, and then if a predator takes them tell themselves it was not their fault. Then they get to start all over again with the cute little chicks...

Before I got my chicks, I talked to our local 4H poultry coordinator and he told me similar stories of parents telling him that they had "bad luck" with their chickens and that they got killed by predators. He always asks them if all the birds were killed in one attack. They always say no, they lost a few birds every now and then over a period of months. To which he responds to them, you don't have bad luck, That wouldn't fit with this man's personality. I think he actually wants the chickens to live. He also has other livestock and he is a farrier by trade. I don't know him well enough to ask him what he is thinking, but I'm sure it's not a desire to raise chicks every year. It is all very odd to me. And, poor chickens!

Before I got my chicks, I talked to our local 4H poultry coordinator and he told me similar stories of parents telling him that they had "bad luck" with their chickens and that they got killed by predators. He always asks them if all the birds were killed in one attack. They always say no, they lost a few birds every now and then over a period of months. To which he responds to them, you don't have bad luck, you have bad management.
:thumbsup Yup, Yup YUP!

Sorry for your loss.

I often wonder how many times we pass on our human emotions to animals that may or may not feel any way the same as we do. I would love to let my chickens free range on my property, I have 3 wooded acres. But I have confined my girls to a chicken run with fencing and bird netting on top to protect them from predators. So far, I have not suffered a predator attack.
I'm inclined to agree, except that in this case, the little buggers insist on trying to get out any chance they get. If they don't exactly "love" free ranging ... a lot of them definitely seem to prefer it! :)

Back
Top Bottom