From PIP to ZIP whats the timeframe?

Sublight

Songster
5 Years
Jun 2, 2016
Pensacola, FL
I incubated an egg that is long and skinny because I lost chickens and had did not have the ability to pick better eggs.
Today is day 20, and the chick Pipped at least 24 hours ago.

I expected to have problems due to the shape of the egg.

I don't feel like it can zip on its own, so I used tweezers to remove the shell, but leave most of the membrane intact. I did peel some of the membrane away so I could see it better.

That was last night.

My plan is to wait until I get off of work before removing it from the shell. That puts the egg at about 36 hours after initial PIP.

Just looking for opinions about my timeframe. I think 36 hours should give it time to absorb yolk.
Thoughts?

That may be bit risky bcs you from what I know you should help about after 24hrs after its pipped. But if you have good humidity then it should be okay.

I agree and would help if it has been over 24 hours from pip and no progress. I try to leave the last bit for the chick to push off itself, it needs to do this to unfurl the toes and strengthen the leg muscles. A chick that has been assisted is more likely to need therapy interventions (cup therapy, splints, tape shoes). Good luck! 😊

I agree and would help if it has been over 24 hours from pip and no progress. I try to leave the last bit for the chick to push off itself, it needs to do this to unfurl the toes and strengthen the leg muscles. A chick that has been assisted is more likely to need therapy interventions (cup therapy, splints, tape shoes). Good luck! 😊
Never done the therapy. But I agree. I learned not to take it all the way out, just in case the yolk has not 100% been absorbed (but by now it should have).
Its not trying to push, it is tight in the shell, but still breathing.

I lost chickens, and I did not have the luxury of picking the biggest, most round eggs in the coop. So I worked with what I had.
This egg is long and skinny. I told the wife, that I would probably have to help the 2 odd shaped eggs out of the shell, so I planned on this anyway.

I incubated an egg that is long and skinny because I lost chickens and had did not have the ability to pick better eggs.
Today is day 20, and the chick Pipped at least 24 hours ago.

I expected to have problems due to the shape of the egg.

I don't feel like it can zip on its own, so I used tweezers to remove the shell, but leave most of the membrane intact. I did peel some of the membrane away so I could see it better.

That was last night.

My plan is to wait until I get off of work before removing it from the shell. That puts the egg at about 36 hours after initial PIP.

Just looking for opinions about my timeframe. I think 36 hours should give it time to absorb yolk.
Thoughts?
If you see yawning motions keep waiting. Is the beak visible? And if you see veins keep waiting. It's hard to give a good timeframe since so much depends on the individual chick. Looking for those two indicators will help a lot. And feel free to post pics!

Be prepared with warm water to unstick. From my experience those that are piped for that long are stuck to shell and require 100F drops of water on dried membrane areas. Let the water reactivate dried areas and off the shell comes.

I just got it out.
A little bit of the yolk sack was attached, but it was just clear liquid. When I removed the big piece of shell, some of it tore. So I snipped it with scissors. No bleeding yet, but I forgot that I did that one time in the past and it bled to death.
Fingers crossed!

20210219_144054.jpg
I got him out. No blood! Looks great!

Back
Top Bottom