From tool shed to Coop?

If you make a nest box ( I use a 36" wide one for 8 hens ) with a lip on top and a roost bar on top of that and put some legs on it to raise it up about a foot. No loss of floor space and all in one and movable if you don't like the current location. You could make the nest box 48" x 24" and ~14-16" high then the top of the nest box would be 26" - 28" high go up 8"-10" for the roost bar and your done.

This is my new poop table.
poop-tray-03.jpg

In the shed with the roost installed.
12x16-coop-02.jpg

JT

If you make a nest box ( I use a 36" wide one for 8 hens ) with a lip on top and a roost bar on top of that and put some legs on it to raise it up about a foot. No loss of floor space and all in one and movable if you don't like the current location. You could make the nest box 48" x 24" and ~14-16" high then the top of the nest box would be 26" - 28" high go up 8"-10" for the roost bar and your done.

This is my new poop table.
View attachment 1849648

In the shed with the roost installed.
View attachment 1849649

JT

@jthornton

JT,

To be clear - you're saying that the nest box (lowest level), elevated poop tray, and roost bar is sort of a one-assembly piece, all-in-one?

And, what are the x-y dimensions of each nest?

TWG

@jthornton

JT,

To be clear - you're saying that the nest box (lowest level), elevated poop tray, and roost bar is sort of a one-assembly piece, all-in-one?

And, what are the x-y dimensions of each nest?
TWG

I only have a single large nest and they pile in together. The top of the nest box would be the poop tray and a roost above that.

This is a real quick drawing... not sure I like how far back the nest is. Maybe a hinged front for a porch and let it stick out, could be folded up to clean the poop tray.
Nest Box w poop tray.JPG

JT

that's the prob with putting nests under poop board....board is 24" deep and nests only need to be about 14"...so kinda hard to reach, unless you're very short and/or limber :lol:

One guy did sliding nests under poop board...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/cheryls-hen-house.1088771/page-22#post-16945523

The nesting area, as stated by JT, could be slightly less deep (front to back) than the poop tray to avoid any droppings on the nest edge. With JT's example using one big single nesting area say, 20" deep back to front, the poop tray above could be 24" back to front. Should work. I'll play with my CAD to see how it lays out.

Thanks to both of you for all the good ideas.

TWG

JT

@jthornton

Question, why have 12" legs under the nest box at all? Can't do much with 12". Why didn't you just have the nest floor at ground level?

TWG

@jthornton

Question, why have 12" legs under the nest box at all? Can't do much with 12". Why didn't you just have the nest floor at ground level?

TWG

So the chickens can run under it and get away from bullies, just another place to avoid getting pecked on. Also it makes it easier to see in the nest.

My feeder and nest box are both about 12" off the ground and I see them being used everyday to get away from another hen that want's to peck them.

JT

So the chickens can run under it and get away from bullies, just another place to avoid getting pecked on. Also it makes it easier to see in the nest.

My feeder and nest box are both about 12" off the ground and I see them being used everyday to get away from another hen that want's to peck them.

JT

Great. Thank you. I will proceed!

Texas Wine Guy

You could also modify my Roll Out Nest Box Mk3 to be a front discharge type which would make more sense under the poop tray as you lift the cover and get the eggs from the front and when lifted all the way up it would block off the nests when needed. In fact that makes so much sense, I'm going to make one for my new coop poop table instead of plan 9 putting it in the dividing wall.

JT

You could also modify my Roll Out Nest Box Mk3 to be a front discharge type which would make more sense under the poop tray as you lift the cover and get the eggs from the front and when lifted all the way up it would block off the nests when needed. In fact that makes so much sense, I'm going to make one for my new coop poop table instead of plan 9 putting it in the dividing wall.

JT

JT, you have a lot of time on your hands. :D These are some great ideas.

I'll need to start out a little simpler for now, but I'm bookmarking this great stuff.

What is the main benefit of this design? Keeping the hens from eating the eggs?

Texas Wine Guy

Back
Top Bottom