Frontline ???

Another question - since we are talking about treating lice- after effective treatment, when should you expect the nits to disappear? I treated my flock with Eprinex and Sevin dust (2X) but still see nits on some birds. The last treatment was 10 days ago. Thought I would treat again anyway, but I am really wondering if the persistent nits on some birds mean there are still adults? I have not seen any adults since the first treatment.

Thanks -

Hey, how many of these eggs do you think I have to eat before I don't get ticks either?

big_smile.png

P.

I have no idea about using Frontline on chickens because I've never done it, but I do know you have to manually remove the nits-they won't just come off. Just be very careful about using anything on a bird that is meant for a mammal. Birds can be killed by some meds that would be fine for dogs and cats.

I've never had lice, mites or ticks in the flock in the almost six years of having chickens. About five years ago, I rescued a rooster who was infested with lice and we found them during his 5 week quarantine. His bedding was removed, new bedding put down and he and the bedding was sprinkled heavily with food grade diatomaceous earth. Never have seen lice since that time. The nests always have DE in them, they have great dustbathing dirt under the coops and elsewhere and on occasion, I dust the birds with DE as well. It's the only thing I've ever used on the birds, though when we clean out the coops, I use Orange Guard (orange oil based natural insecticide) in the cracks and crevices. If an infestation suddenly came up, I might get poultry dust from the feed store if I could find it and DE didn't do the trick, but so far, have not needed to do that. There is a lice/mite spray they make for parrots I see in the pet stores.

Quote:
I'd LOVE an answer to this, if anyone has one.

I was curious, so I found this reference (sorry, its published length is 175 pages):

http://www.fao.org/ag/AGP/AGPP/Pesticid/JMPR/Download/2001_eva/08 Fipronil.pdf

In summary, they fed dosages of fipronil to hens at dosages of 0.05, 2 and 10 ppm on a dry weight in their diets and they did residue testing (using radio isotopes attached to the fipronil). They found that after oral administration around half of the fipronil was eliminated after about a day. The compound is lipophilic (fat-loving) so the residue was primarily found in tissues such as the skin that have a lot of fat and not surprisingly in the egg/egg yolk. With this information, I would recommend an egg withdrawal period but for how long I can't tell. This was based on oral dosing and I could not find a reference to see how much fipronil was ingested per bird let alone how this translates to topical administration.

I will keep investigating and update if I find better information.

Back
Top Bottom