Frostbite, Bumblefoot, or both?

BirdIsTheWurd

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts
Hi All,
I need some advice about this... my 3yo Buff Orp did not come through the horrid winter too well. I feel badly because right before we'd been hit with all the snowstorms I'd noticed one of her feet was a bit pink and saw that dark spot on the middle pad on one foot and I should have acted then, but didn't. Now her whole leg is red, underneath the scales is very dark, and there seems to be swelling between toes. BOTH legs/feet look like this, but only one has the dark spot on the bottom of the foot.

She is walking fine, but is the only one in the flock not laying eggs, so I know something's wrong. She is eating and drinking, but has been demoted to the bottom of the pecking order.

Not having had foot issues within my 3yo flock at all yet, I'm not sure if I am dealing with bumblefoot or frostbite, or both? Advice?

To me the red legs look normal which is what many hens and roosters look like when they are fertile. The bumblefoot spot doesn't look that bad either. If the footpad is more swollen than the other one, you could do the surgery, but if not, I would just watch it, or do some epsom salt warm soaks to the foot. How do her scales look in the front? Are they lifted at all--that could be the start of leg mites.

Thank you, Eggcessive, that puts me at ease a little! I'm not sure if the scales are lifted, I don't think they are but I will keep an eye on them. THANK YOU for replying, I was worried!

Back
Top Bottom