Frostbite

The top edge?
Does he have a large single comb?
Grayish or yellowish is mild frostbite and will likely not be lost.
Necrotic(dead) tissue will turn black and fall off eventually.

Here's some pics of frostbite progression:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/frostbite-in-sw-michigan.74597/
Hey Aart, when you are hands off, do you leave the bird in their pen/coop area or do you take them to a warmer environment to heal? I have a bantam that is showing some signs of frostbite. His wattles are swollen (but no discoloration) and a line of color running through his comb that is indicative of frostbite. I'm debating what to do. I've had frostbite in chickens before on their combs, but not a little guy. Thanks.

Hey Aart, when you are hands off, do you leave the bird in their pen/coop area or do you take them to a warmer environment to heal? I have a bantam that is showing some signs of frostbite. His wattles are swollen (but no discoloration) and a line of color running through his comb that is indicative of frostbite. I'm debating what to do. I've had frostbite in chickens before on their combs, but not a little guy. Thanks.
Nope, I have never brought a bird to a warmer place for FB.

This has been very helpful guys and gals. I was wondering why my Rooster had black on his comb and waddle. Is it painful for them. He has started waiving his head around. Our temperatures are in the 0's right now and at night negative 1 and 2.

I'm interested also. Mine are wanting to be in the guinea coop. It is much smaller than the chicken coop. And some of them are outside on the perches. So i caught them last night and put them in there own coop. I left two of the hens in the guinea coop because they were in between the guineas.

I also have a question about the frost bite. Is it painful.. My Rooster is bobbing his head as if he is discomfort. His legs are shaking as if he is scared or cold. He is smacking his beak. I need to figure out how to upload a video so you can see what i am talking abuot anyone know how to upload a video?

I also have a question about the frost bite. Is it painful.. My Rooster is bobbing his head as if he is discomfort. His legs are shaking as if he is scared or cold. He is smacking his beak. I need to figure out how to upload a video so you can see what i am talking abuot anyone know how to upload a video?
The easiest way is to download the video on YouTube and post the link here.

Thank you Tookie.
Here is my link watch till the end he has frost bit on both his comb and waddles. I am just wondering if it is painful. It looks like he is trying to shake it off.

Back
Top Bottom