Frostbitten comb HELP!!!!!!!!!!

welcome-byc.gif

Use some Vaseline and coat the combs with it. Use some neosporin if there is any hint of infection.

Thanks!
big_smile.png

I am glad I wrote in to BYC.
caf.gif

Rick (son of krv)

Search frost bite. There are a number of threads on frost bite treatment for minor and major cases. If yours is hard frozen, I'd put that under major frost bite, and any hard frozen tissue will become necrotic.

If one of my fowl were in your situation, I'd dub (remove) the comb and wattles. The frostbitten flesh will usually die, turning black and rotting. The rotting will cause an infection. The infection will likely kill your bird.

For more information on dubbing, please check here , or you can buy the most current issue of Backyard Poultry . It has an excellent article on frostbite prevention.

Right now it sounds like only a very small part of the comb is actually frostbitten. Those tips of his comb which have turned white will eventually turn black and fall off, leaving behind a scab. Eventually the comb will completely heal up.

To prevent further frostbite, simply apply vaseline like another poster mentioned. When applying the vaseline, it also helps to massage any purple areas to encourage blood flow. Be careful not to massage the white or black ares though, as touching that too much may be painful for your bird.

Keep an eye on the rooster to be sure he doesn't develop any infection and acts normally. (Eats, drinks, and is active) Some roosters are just more prone to frost bite. Typically, after the first winter a rooster will no longer develop frostbite on his comb or wattles.

I think the reasoning behind the vaseline is that vaseline does not freeze, or if it does, I havent found anything that states at what temperature it does freeze.

I am in the same situation; just went down to the coop and my Brown leghorn roo looks as if he has frostbite. His wadddle is black and actually bleeding some
sad.png
Would that be frostbite? I am headed down to put neosporin on it, is that correct? Any advice is appreciated.

Also, just wondering if it is frostbite and his waddle turns black and falls off, will it grow back?

- - Susan

Yes, your roo most likely has frostbite.
The of winter 2001 we experienced some night time low temps of -25º.
One of the roo's got frost bit wattles.
It didn't help that they draped into the water everytime he was drinking.
The tips were red, very swollen, turned black and evetually atrophied and fell off.
I don't remember that I did anything special for him.
He survived just fine and no they do not grow back.
Don't worry...he will probably be fine.

A tip for cold climate chicken lovers...
get breeds with pea or rose combs
and ones that don't get real big wattles.

Last edited:
Sometimes the tips may grow back a little bit, but when too much is damaged, nothing will grow back except for some of the skin in the area that was actually damaged.

Like the chicken lady said, it's similar to injuring your finger. If you only lose the very tip (the skin), it will grow back, but as soon as you lose more (Where the bone starts), it will not grow back.

Back
Top Bottom