Frostbitten comb HELP!!!!!!!!!!

So someone asked about neosporin and or polysporin on the waddles and combs...Is this a good idea or should we just stick with Vaseline, a poly/neo/Vaseline mixture, or nothing at all?
Thanks
smile.png

My friend who is a chicken keeper had one of her roosters get frost bite and she tried cutting off the comb and he bled out, is this common or did she do something wrong. also I got a awesome heat lamp from Premier1 that is about the safest I've ever seen, $26.00 and worth every penny.

Last edited:
KRV, I realize you asked about frostbite, but since this is your mom's rooster and you spoke of the temp there, I have to say that the cause of frostbite in chickens is generally not temp but humidity buildup in the coop from the chickens and poop. It would be good if someone could find a way to open up a bit of that coop, up high, so the warm humid air can escape.

Quote:
My thoughts as well. If you google "coop ventilation in cold weather" in the custom search box, you'll find good information on the whys and hows of it.

NEED HELP! IS THIS FROSTBITE OR FOWLPOX???? PICTURES!

hello everyone! i am so excited i found this forum! so here it goes! i have 4 roosters, and all of them started having these black spots on their combs and wattles, so after reading over 1000 posts on frostbite and fowlpox, i'm not any closer to finding an answer. My roos live inside for this harsh winter , every night is below freezing and way too much snow outside, so their coop in insulated and have 3 heat lamps, it extends to other coops and those have windows for sun and has fans for ventilation, so they are happy otherwise, their roosting poles allow them to cover their feet, so not sure if its frostbite or fowlpox. Yesterday i built a little infirmary in my basement for them so i can keep it warm and make sure no one picks at them while they heal, i wasn't able to post PICTURES of them here on BYC, BUT PLEASE visit my site and go under 'PHOTO GALLERY' TO SEE THEM!!
IF ANYONE could please take a look for me, need some help, very new to the chicken world! but loving every minute of it, i dont want to loose any one of them because i didn't give them proper medications. THANKS!!!!

WWW.CHIMBICA.WEEBLY.COM

Last edited:
Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
I am not to sure on the fowl pox since all I have heard about it is that it comes from Mosquitos [sp] and I don't think where you are living there would be many around.. Some of your roos look for sure like they have frost bite and it will blacken and eventually dry up and fall off, just have to watch for infection which i did not see any.. but your one rooster looked alot like he'd been fighting with the wattles bloodied too. How many roos to hens do you have and have you seen your roos fighting? Your site is very nice and looks like you are living in a beautiful place... Just my 2 cents I'd say probably too many roos and theres some bickering going on.. Hopefully someone else will take a look and say what they think.

You are right it is not a myth! Vaseline does in fact work! We have had some very cold nights and my rooster had gotten frostbite on his waddles and comb. I read in a chicken magazine to use vaseline and it seems to be working 100%. we got 8" of snow last between yesterday and the day before. it is going to be a cold winter! keep your birds warm everyone!

Back
Top Bottom