Frostbitten comb HELP!!!!!!!!!!

You might want to try bag balm on the comb and wattles too its better than vasoline . you can get bag balm at tractor supply. Its less greasy and will get into the skin better. It was made to put on cow teats. It will absorb better and can offer a bit better protection. Hope this helps and wish you the best.

its supposed to be -30 tomorrow, so really want to treat before gets cold and might make worse please help!

Right now it sounds like only a very small part of the comb is actually frostbitten. Those tips of his comb which have turned white will eventually turn black and fall off, leaving behind a scab. Eventually the comb will completely heal up.

To prevent further frostbite, simply apply vaseline like another poster mentioned. When applying the vaseline, it also helps to massage any purple areas to encourage blood flow. Be careful not to massage the white or black ares though, as touching that too much may be painful for your bird.

Keep an eye on the rooster to be sure he doesn't  develop any infection and acts normally. (Eats, drinks, and is active) Some roosters are just more prone to frost bite. Typically, after the first winter a rooster will no longer develop frostbite on his comb or wattles.
my boys comb is all half black in one night. what do i do? i use vasoline except that one night

Welcome to BYC Puffy. Vaseline won't really keep your rooster's comb from getting frostbite. It just sometimes happens sometimes. High humidity combined, or the comb getting wet with freezing temperatures are the cause. You may not know the full extent of the damage for a few days. Sometimes it looks better after a couple of days. You can apply some iodine or plain Nesosporin ointment, but be gentle since the comb will be painful and may bleed. If the tips were frozen, they will most likely become rounded, and that really isn't too serious. Make sure the coop is dry, no wet spots, and has some overhead cross ventilation. Pictures are welcome.

My Mom's buff orp. rooster's comb is partially frozen or frostbitten./img/smilies/hit.gif The tips of his comb are hard and white. The middle of his comb is not hard, but is purple.The wattles are partially purple and very swollen, but not hard. What will happen to him ??? The temperature has been in the teens yesterday and today.And last night it got in the single digits. What should we do to help him??? I need some good advice./img/smilies/old.gif

So I turned to BYC for help./img/smilies/caf.gif

Rick(son of krv)/img/smilies/big_smile.png

I had a very young rooster that accidentally got left outside one night and it got frozen like this. Not really bad. I would say it is not a good idea to start cutting on the bird. Please let me explain... a frostbite on any mammal is like a burn. Burns dry out the flesh and it cracks and bleeds opening up secondary infections. The Vaseline was a very good idea as it is not able to breed bacteria. I used a homemade herbal burn salve and my rooster healed nicely with no damage. If there is a way to protect them in the freezing temperatures more it would be better for the large comb birds. Have fun trying to catch that rooster to do anything to him! I know I did with mine.

I had a very young rooster that accidentally got left outside one night and it got frozen like this. Not really bad. I would say it is not a good idea to start cutting on the bird. Please let me explain... a frostbite on any mammal is like a burn. Burns dry out the flesh and it cracks and bleeds opening up secondary infections. The Vaseline was a very good idea as it is not able to breed bacteria. I used a homemade herbal burn salve and my rooster healed nicely with no damage. If there is a way to protect them in the freezing temperatures more it would be better for the large comb birds. Have fun trying to catch that rooster to do anything to him! I know I did with mine.
As I said. No action was taken. His comb fell off all by itself. I did not put any salves or ointments on it. Which I could have done easily. All I did was lock them in the coop. So he wasnt able to get out into the minus degree temperatures. If I was going to put anything on it. I would of put carmex (chap stick) on it. I have used chapstick on my own burns. Soothing, stops pain, antibacterial.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom