Frozen water bowls?

paganfish

Songster
12 Years
Sep 15, 2007
Fleming, Colorado
HI!

OK, so last Winter I had a heck of a time trying to thaw the frozen over water from the night before to reuse for that day. I had to bring a set of waterers inside then replenish the frozen ones with them next morning...however, they'd still freeze by mid day - again.

barnie.gif

It's not that cold here, YET. It will get *that* cold soon though. What do you all do in such situations. (I mean all us folks in bitter cold climates. LOL!) I have two electric dog water bowls that keep water from freezing. I thought of putting both waterers in the bowl to keep them from freezing? It seems to be the ONLY viable solution.

What do you guys/gals do?
hu.gif

Pedro ~:-v

PS The people here think I am a kook because I thank my chickens for their eggs. I literally THANK them..and folks laugh at me. Do you thank your chickens? Just curious...I know I am NOT the only ONE!

Last edited:
I have a heated base - and my waterer is a metal one, I have my waterer on the base now - thank goodness, I had an inch of ice on the horse bucket this morning.

And yes, I always say thank you to my girls for the eggs - I also ask them WHERE the eggs are, when there are none (I only have two girls laying right now)

I have a rubber bowel I just bend and pop out ice cubes from. It only freezes ocasionaly here, and with alot of deep litter... I just put in on the ground too and that help. Good old heating decay.

I use two heated dog water bowls for 24 chickens....never have had a problem...both I think I paid less then 20.00 ea. for.....at TSC

I thank my chickens for their eggs and when I closed them up at night in the henhouse I tell them good night and see them in the morning
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Haven't had to deal with frozen water yet, trying to decide what we WILL do because they drink from rabbit water bottles...

We don't thank the peeps, but we do congratulate them and tell them what great girls they are. Since we have so few, it's pretty easy to see who's producing and who's being a slacker...

I always tell my girls how clever and brilliant they are whenever I find an egg in the nestbox. And at night, I bid them "sweet chicken dreams".

I haven't encountered freezing weather yet, but I'm hoping the insulation and hot hen breath will keep the water from freezing in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom