Frustrated Roo, kind of sweet.

Azriel

Songster
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Montana
I have a little rescue hen, she has been identifyed as a Egyption Fayoumi and is small. She has been living in my basement for about a month, but weather is warming into the 50s now, so I'm hoping to intergrate her into my flock. I set up a small pen in my coop so they can get used to each other but not fight. As soon as I put the new girl in the pen the other ladys rushed over to see who she was, a couple of them tried to peck at her, but she stood right up to them and pecked back. But then Mr.Roo saw her, and he thought she was real pretty. He sauntered over, pushed the ladys out of the way and started doing the wing dance, it was so cute, I had never seen him do that. He never even looks at the hens when I'm out there. Well he was dancing all arround the pen, and the hen was squatting for him inside the pen. Finally he just sat down outside the pen making little cooing noises at her trying to get her to come out of the pen so he could get better acquainted with her.
I plan on keeping her in the small pen for at least a week, but I'm not sure I should even try letting her be with the rest of the flock. She is so small, maybe 3#, and Mr.Roo is huge, about 20" tall, and at least 8-10#. When I went back out this evening to check on them and give their evening treats, the ladys weren't even paying any attention to her, but Mr.Roo was still trying to talk her into comming out to play.

Give her a few days.

He won't be gentle but once he's had his way with her things should HOPEFULLY calm down.... and she'll be fast enough to get away from the other hens.

I always try to put TWO or THREE newbies in so that one doesn't get pecked all of the time.

I wish I had more than 1 to add at this time, but I don't, and I can't find any adult hens for sale arround here. She is just so small I afraid hes going to squash her. Mr. Roo is really big, when I got him I thought he was a Black Australorp, but now I'm wondering if he is a Black Jersy Giant.

Back
Top Bottom