frustrated w/ waterers

melachiro

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 4, 2010
Hello,
I have tried 3 different waterers and have not been happy with any. I currently have the large galvanized vacuum style and it would be perfect if it didn't constantly slowly seep over the sides. Why is the vacuum not keeping the pan from overflowing? Is there anyway to tweak this unit to make it work?

Thanks in advance.

No, that really breaks the seal on this style. Really sick of wet bedding and soggy floors.

First, check the rubber or cork stopper inside the water release valve--some times that gets wadded up and allows water to seep through even when the vacuum is working ok. Second make sure the base is level, if it isn't water will run over the rim and has to be replenished from someplace. Third, and this happens rarely if the waterer is new, make sure there isn't a leak in the outer cover--sometimes it happens around the carrying handle. You can plug this with silicone--assuming the chickens don't find it and pick it off.

I bought one of the metal ones from TSC and the water only stays a day. I hang some plastic ones and those don't drip nearly as much. There's also the nipple waterers, which don't spill as much, but you have to teach your birds to drink from them. Some people just turn a hose on a trickle and use a long strip of a curved metal all the way around the coop and that way there's always fresh water.

Can't think of anything else, but I'm sure there's something.
idunno.gif

Woodmort,

I will admit that the base is not "perfectly" level and I was planning on building a base with a lightbulb housing under it for winter. I will have to make sure that the base I make is level...maybe that will help.

So i posted this exact thing in the begining of summer! I hate it too. It either runs and runs or it stops coming out at all! Annoying! I did make a perfectly level stack of pavers which did help with the continuous leaking but then they started digging holes and getting dirt in the thing and now it seems to not fill. I'm not sure if thats why or not.

I put my water up on level cinder blocks. They can't did under them, the water stays cleaner and lasts longer. One of the water containers has steps around it to help my little mille fleurs have easy access - the steps provide another clean area around the lip.
smile.png

Quote:
Do you know if they would work if one has well water with alot of iron at times? would it clog them up or can you take the nipples apart and clean them?

Back
Top Bottom