Frustrated with all the options

I’m currently shopping for my first flock of chicks and it’s just overwhelming. I don’t really want to buy potentially below average stock from one of the big hatcheries that offer vent sexing. I’d love to support a local breeder, but they are hard to find and usually sell straight run.

I can only have 6 hens, so straight run isn’t ideal. I’ve found some nice mid-size hatcheries, but again, most everything is straight run.

I’ve considered just ordering auto-sex or sex-link, but then I’m limited to certain breeds that may not be on my wishlist.

Another option is just to buy started pullets, but then you don’t get to raise them. So thanks for letting me vent. I’m sure I’ll end up with some wonderful hens..eventually.
i have blue sapphire best chicken i have ever had

I live in Minnesota, so I need cold hardy. Planning on a woods style coop 6x10 with a 60 sq ft outdoor run. I’d love friendly, quiet(ish), hardy birds. I think Orpington’s look nice, I love the coloring choices of Wyandotte’s. Green/blue egg layers would be fun too. I would like decent layers. Pet quality is fine, since I don’t think we would show. Thanks!
Hello! I am originally from Minnesota and now in Tennessee. I am not an expert on this, but I can say we had a very good experience with the chicks we ordered from Hoovers Hatchery in Iowa. We got black australorps, rainbow, and sapphire gems. We ordered 15. They all survived shipment. One had to be culled at a couple weeks because of what we are pretty was a crop issue, but we weren’t sure. Everything we tried failed and it had to be put out of her misery. All were hens, no accidental roos. All are great family friendly breeds that lay great and tolerate the extreme temperatures really well. We got one that is apparently an Easter egger that had disguised itself as a rainbow because she lays blue eggs and the rainbows are supposed to lay brown eggs. She looks very different from the other rainbows, but even though she wasn’t what we ordered, she’s still great. But a year later, the rest (besides the one who died in infancy) are all still alive and thriving. We’ve had no health issues besides one case of bumblefoot that healed nicely. The australorps are especially friendly and readily jump on our laps and love snuggles. The Sapphires that belong to my 6 year old let her pick them up and will fall asleep in her arms. I would definitely order from them again and they’re pretty close to you!

You take your chances with a big hatchery, or even a local breeder, and everything in between as far as the health of the chicks, since a chick could hatch fine, but because of internal issues that are not evident, fail to thrive and die shortly afterwards. This is just the nature of the beast, in reality.

I'd recommend a breed like the cochins, extremely hardy for cold weather (I know... I'm in northwestern North Dakota, your neighbor), and good layers. They come in a variety of colors, so you could add diversity that way.

I bought my first flock locally, from a breeder who specialized in heritage breeds. I wanted chickens bred for health, not maximizing meat/egg production. I lost all but 2 to Mareks. I’m pretty sure that they came sick. So now I have Mareks in my flock forever.

My next two flocks were ordered from McMurray hatchery, fully vaccinated. I still have 3 of 9 of the first order, hatched in October 2013, and 5 of 6 of my 2nd flock, hatched April 2020. I still have occasional outbreaks of Mareks - twice in younger hens (1 fully recovered) and twice in my old girls (culled for paralysis).

McMurray has a ton of varieties, so I spend some time narrowing down based on preferred traits, which are listed for each breed. For me - heat tolerance, unlikely to go broody, and good free rangers are what I look for. I made a spreadsheet with each breed and then narrowed it down to the minimum number. I love getting a wide variety of looks and personalities.

I did have one negative with McMurray - my bonus chick was a bantam and died shortly after arrival. So what was meant to be a fun “what did we get” experience was stressful and sad as we tried to save the chick. But overall, my experience with a big hatchery was much better than local.

Of the 16 chicks I have purchased from McMurray, all have been sexed correctly. I had at least 2 Roos in the first flock I purchased locally.

My pet chicsken sells sexed.
also,they told me they quarantine seriously after Meraks vaccine,very,very important.Need some time to take effect.Easily breeshed by same person feeding one flock and walking into a quarantined flock.
They have pullets,as well,which is great,
Pick a barred rock,and Wellsummer,sexed from them,they are some of the most easily sexed.If you can only have 6,don’t get 1 of anything.They need their own kind,and will like them best.
and if they come with Coccidiosis,yes corid can work,slowly.
A piece of Bactrim,( sulfa) dissolved in water,dropper.,twice in 2 days,gone immediately,on contact.Sometines one day,I do second just in case.
Some breeders use very high corid in water,the minute they leave,they get sick.They told me this.Every second counts with chicks,I treat any sign of it,pronto.

If you can only have 6,don’t get 1 of anything.They need their own kind,and will like them best.
I think this is a personal decision. We have a few singletons, a few duos, and a few trios. They intermingle and get along. My neighbors have 4, each of a different breed. I personally wouldn’t get 5 of 1 and 1 singleton, but if you’d like a variety and get gentle breeds they will be fine especially if raised together as chicks. ❤️

Last edited:
I’m currently shopping for my first flock of chicks and it’s just overwhelming. I don’t really want to buy potentially below average stock from one of the big hatcheries that offer vent sexing. I’d love to support a local breeder, but they are hard to find and usually sell straight run.

I can only have 6 hens, so straight run isn’t ideal. I’ve found some nice mid-size hatcheries, but again, most everything is straight run.

I’ve considered just ordering auto-sex or sex-link, but then I’m limited to certain breeds that may not be on my wishlist.

Another option is just to buy started pullets, but then you don’t get to raise them. So thanks for letting me vent. I’m sure I’ll end up with some wonderful hens..eventually.
Cackle hatchery will let you order a small brood. Domers are my favorite rose combs

Back
Top Bottom