@igorsMistress Jumbo sized 18 count egg carton's will soon be on their way to me.
Yay!! I'm excited for you. I hope you have a great hatch.

I'm ready to downsize the flock and I'm seriously considering a couple of bunnies this Spring. We'll see.

Yay!! I'm excited for you. I hope you have a great hatch.

I'm ready to downsize the flock and I'm seriously considering a couple of bunnies this Spring. We'll see.

I think that you misunderstood that one. The hatching egg's aren't on the way to me yet. It's a bunch of 18 count jumbo egg carton's.

It's also good steamed with a spritz of the juice from a lemon, and tossed with some butter after it's done. Melted cheese is also good on it.

:eek:good for you trying new things! I love it roasted as well, but also just steamed with some butter.

Thanks for the tips ladies, we'll be having it agin for sure.

Are you thinking of the rabbits for pets or meat IM?
Pets. Poop for my garden really. Hubs agrees we're ready to expand the garden. I like chicken manure for my compost pile, which in turn gets used for shrubs and non edible plants. I really liked the results in my garden with the bunny poop I got from my son though. Plus no composting necessary. He's a busy kid I know, and unreliable about bringing me bunny poop as a result. I might get one, there are always some that need rescuing at the humane society of course.

You raised them for meat right?

Can I ask a really dumb question...what do they taste like? When you said that they have less feathers, which is good for your climate, I’m guessing it’s warm where you are. I’m inPA. Very cold here..but you said they are a hardy breed...so, could they make it here? And how big would you say they are..undressed weight? We’ve only eaten two birds so far...but...if these were a good meat bird..perhaps?
NO! You can’t ask a dumb question......
because there is no dumb question. 😂 Now to answer you.

NN’s are actually a very good meat bird. When I said they were hardy birds I actually meant they are really healthy. They seem to be very resistant to diseases, etc. However, I think they are also cold hardy birds, even though they have fewer feathers. They bury that little naked neck down in their feathers and you’d never know they were missing some feathers. Their feathers are sparse on their necks, under the wings and around the vent. If you hand pluck, fewer feathers is a good thing. I’m not a good estimator of weight and have never had to know for sure what their weight was, but I am going to guess my NN hen is the same size as my BPR and she’s a good sized girl. I know both cockerels I processed were big boys.

NO! You can’t ask a dumb question......
because there is no dumb question. 😂 Now to answer you.

NN’s are actually a very good meat bird. When I said they were hardy birds I actually meant they are really healthy. They seem to be very resistant to diseases, etc. However, I think they are also cold hardy birds, even though they have fewer feathers. They bury that little naked neck down in their feathers and you’d never know they were missing some feathers. Their feathers are sparse on their necks, under the wings and around the vent. If you hand pluck, fewer feathers is a good thing. I’m not a good estimator of weight and have never had to know for sure what their weight was, but I am going to guess my NN hen is the same size as my BPR and she’s a good sized girl. I know both cockerels I processed were big boys.
They are quite hearty I would agree. Disease resistant I would not agree with. They're like any other chicken and can/do get sick.

Pets. Poop for my garden really. Hubs agrees we're ready to expand the garden. I like chicken manure for my compost pile, which in turn gets used for shrubs and non edible plants. I really liked the results in my garden with the bunny poop I got from my son though. Plus no composting necessary. He's a busy kid I know, and unreliable about bringing me bunny poop as a result. I might get one, there are always some that need rescuing at the humane society of course.

You raised them for meat right?

Yes, we raised rabbits for meat when we lived in FL. And used their poop in the garden (because when you have rabbits, you have lots of poop, lol). We had California and New Zealands.

Back
Top Bottom