We put down the roo with the limp last night. He was in a nest box all by himself, no struggling as I picked him up and carried him to the garden. RIP little guy.

We're beginning some major renovations in the main coop and I'll be whitewashing the interior this weekend.

The roost and ramp need replacements. I've decided to drop the roost height and shorten it so it doesn't extend over the nest box, which will reduce the grade of the ramp and I think that will be good. To keep poop from accumulating on the block that forms the foundation of the coop the roost will be extended out from the wall a little bit further than it is now. I'm ditching the poop boards, I had concerns about the dust from those before and it's expensive to buy pdz. I don't like the way it smells and I feel like garbage for a while after I poop scoop. The deep litter has been quite successful on the floor and smells so good after stirring in comparison. The nest box will need to be modified as well but has to stay in the same corner. I think we'll shorten the one we have to 2 nests and add another next to the pop door. I'd like to use the lattice I have to make a curved top for the nests and still use it for dividers since air flow is good with it. The litter in the coop will move to the yard where it'll protect little feet from hot dirt and small rocks in summer.

Have a good weekend.

Sorry about the little guy IM :hugs

I'm trying to figure out where the red came from. I didn't even have a red bird back then. I got Carmela (the cream) and Lucille (the red) after you were here.
Well I'm fairly certain Roger has mixed genetics, aren't you? This guy has green legs with reddish brown and black coming in on a white background, dark head with some white and brownish red. Maybe from the CCLB? I dunno.

Well I'm fairly certain Roger has mixed genetics, aren't you? This guy has green legs with reddish brown and black coming in on a white background, dark head with some white and brownish red. Maybe from the CCLB? I dunno.

Yes, I think that he does, by the way his feathering look's, and the different color's that these new chick's are coming out.

Yes, I think that he does, by the way his feathering look's, and the different color's that these new chick's are coming out.
I like all the new colors. I hope you will update with pics once your chicks griw up.

I'll try to get a close up of this guy this evening. He's a sweet boy.

On a happier note, I found a wee egg in the nest box today. This is the second one so far.
20200130_170626.jpg

I like all the new colors. I hope you will update with pics once your chicks griw up.

I'll try to get a close up of this guy this evening. He's a sweet boy.

I'm thinking that there are 2 little roos' in this last batch of 6 chick's. I'm more interested one of them though, more than the other one.

Back
Top Bottom