Phew it’s getting warm outside! I got all the stuff put in the shed, swept the patio and finished cleaning up stuff in the big coop. The boys helped me break down and take a bunch of boxes out to the recycle bin but I still need to bring the brooder inside and break it down for storage. I hauled out a bag of feed and filled the gravity feeder, put more scratch in the bin out there and put out more oyster shell for the girls. The bunny pen has been vacuumed but I need to refill the hay silo and bring in their clean litter box. I’m going to start using pine pellets in it and see how that works for soaking up pee. Hopefully I’ll go through less hay. I found some mini meadow grass hay bales that they really like but they leave a mess all over the floor in their pen. HopTart is molting so there’s hair everywhere; she’s going to hate me later but grooming is in order this afternoon.

I guess that one would make it easier to remove later so that you don't have to pry them loose like those old time one's?
You can’t use the regular lids for fermenting, they don’t let gas escape and your ferment will make it explode. These are for the fermenting process, then when you’re done and put the jar in the fridge you can use a screw top lid.

Phew it’s getting warm outside! I got all the stuff put in the shed, swept the patio and finished cleaning up stuff in the big coop. The boys helped me break down and take a bunch of boxes out to the recycle bin but I still need to bring the brooder inside and break it down for storage. I hauled out a bag of feed and filled the gravity feeder, put more scratch in the bin out there and put out more oyster shell for the girls. The bunny pen has been vacuumed but I need to refill the hay silo and bring in their clean litter box. I’m going to start using pine pellets in it and see how that works for soaking up pee. Hopefully I’ll go through less hay. I found some mini meadow grass hay bales that they really like but they leave a mess all over the floor in their pen. HopTart is molting so there’s hair everywhere; she’s going to hate me later but grooming is in order this afternoon.

You can’t use the regular lids for fermenting, they don’t let gas escape and your ferment will make it explode. These are for the fermenting process, then when you’re done and put the jar in the fridge you can use a screw top lid.

Sound's like your day is full over there.

See, I just learned something new today about pickle lid's!

That lady with the 2 other dorking's couldn't make it yesterday so she'll be here in about an hour. Shadow and the 2 Barnevelder's will be leaving with them, but there's some new turken's (not related to any of mine) that will be arriving with the 2 new Dorking's. I've been getting mine situated for my next years breeding's.

Sound's like your day is full over there.

See, I just learned something new today about pickle lid's!

That lady with the 2 other dorking's couldn't make it yesterday so she'll be here in about an hour. Shadow and the 2 Barnevelder's will be leaving with them, but there's some new turken's (not related to any of mine) that will be arriving with the 2 new Dorking's. I've been getting mine situated for my next years breeding's.
Nice! I’m just going to let the flock meld here, no hatching or planning for anything. Whatever happens next year happens. Except Joan Crawford, she’s not allowed to go broody.

Here’s a pickle pipe in use for my sourdough starter. It keeps dust and bugs out but lets the jar expel gas
3AD697F3-A84F-4E33-A00E-9CDB692BBBB8.jpeg

How are the buns doing IM? Any new pictures?

Your last paragraph about exploding fermented food reminds me of when my former MIL decided to make several huge vats of sauerkraut. She put the vats in their basement, sealed them up tight and then went on a long vacation. By the time she got home, there was sour cabbage all over their basement floor, walls and ceiling! Yuck, what a stench! :gig

How are the buns doing IM? Any new pictures?

Your last paragraph about exploding fermented food reminds me of when my former MIL decided to make several huge vats of sauerkraut. She put the vats in their basement, sealed them up tight and then went on a long vacation. By the time she got home, there was sour cabbage all over their basement floor, walls and ceiling! Yuck, what a stench! :gig
:lau :lau:lau

OMG that must have been awful!

I’ll get some pics of the buns when I groom HopTart later.

Back
Top Bottom