Thanks Meg :love
I have no idea but I’m certain it’s not Marek’s. These birds are exhibiting respiratory symptoms and usually a Marek’s case will present with paralysis and/or tumors. I can’t cull just one bird and send for a necropsy because the lab isn’t doing them right now so feel like culling all and starting fresh is probably the best bet in this case. Whatever it is, the only symptoms are the rattling when they breathe that gradually gets worse, some sneezes and now the sicker birds are showing less interest in food. I almost thought maybe the roo or the rescue girls brought something into the flock but I don’t think so. The roo never exhibited any symptoms and the rescue girls weren’t the first to get sick with this thing. So I’m inclined to believe that since the pigeons were showing the same symptoms that it’s something being passed by them. They could certainly be bringing it from another flock around here as well.
I'm sure you've looked all this up, but I found this interesting. I don't know how you'd ever eradicate it (whatever it is...canker maybe?) I wonder what local/state government does when diseased creatures are found. Surely they don't just let them run around spreading contagion? Might be worth a call to FWP.
https://www.thesprucepets.com/common-pigeon-diseases-4153044

I'm sorry that is happening to you @igorsMistress I haven't noticed any pigeon's over here, but there's some doves, grackles, and sparrow's. All of my chicken's seem to be doing well and are healthy. I have been sitting out there more with them again now that it hasn't been as hot and I don't have to take care of the neighbor's animal's. I was just holding the smallest Dorking pullet that I've been calling Baby Girl yesterday afternoon. She was that last girl that I got in the batch, and I think she's a little bit younger than the other one's. The dark eyed NN pullet still like's to talk to me when I go in there, and the Cowgirl has started trying to be chatty with me too.
Thank you! I think the key may be that your flock doesn’t get all the wild bird visitors that mine does so I really want to enclose the yard and get that set up to keep them out.

I'm sure you've looked all this up, but I found this interesting. I don't know how you'd ever eradicate it (whatever it is...canker maybe?) I wonder what local/state government does when diseased creatures are found. Surely they don't just let them run around spreading contagion? Might be worth a call to FWP.
https://www.thesprucepets.com/common-pigeon-diseases-4153044
I know they investigate some things but I suspect pigeons aren’t high on the list of priorities. I was thinking it could be Mycoplasma based on my research but reading about it in chickens and decided to cull based on what I read about it.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/avian-mycoplasmosis

Good, that should also help in keeping the hawk's and owl's out of there also.
The hawk or owl got the roo out in the big yard, it’s more difficult to get them in the coop yard because there’s a tree so the hawks can’t drop down on them in there. The owls will hunt on the ground and flush prey from under bushes and stuff while their friend waits on the other side out of sight. Smart creatures!

The NN new pullet layer layed her 2nd egg today, and I was out there again when she did it. I seen her hunch up and heard her grunting to push it out. It's a tiny bit bigger than yesterday's egg was. After she finished laying it she walked over to me so that I could pet her and give her praise from doing a good job.

Garden today
C612F663-5400-4027-974A-861870E21BF6.jpeg
8AE4CF49-B58C-48C6-BF6C-3EEBFE19105B.jpeg
AA6CAB25-01D9-47D7-9C38-DE6C2C775B03.jpeg
191735FE-DE0D-4C11-AAE1-8139D404AD34.jpeg
7C11AA45-69E6-4C3A-A2D0-3D51A325896D.jpeg
259956B9-DF69-42B3-BBB2-E02B53181612.jpeg
9B63C90B-A688-40C6-BA08-F10C96EF818C.jpeg
D88EAB21-C1CF-4374-A04A-01D4C81BB2AF.jpeg
2EB4214E-7C2E-481C-9D65-B49481AE7158.jpeg
61F51C75-F720-4779-8A2E-0222A74635AB.jpeg
4C0F40BD-B050-472D-A1D0-6926A86B6BB9.jpeg
FB9E9163-B251-4760-AA65-ACAA4A97CAB3.jpeg
7ED43FFD-8AB6-4D26-A1D8-7E4526A7BF4D.jpeg
3859723B-9288-476C-A048-01C769672141.jpeg

I made the decision to cull my flock. I’ve had a ton of wild pigeons die in my yard this year, some of them I could hear rattling when they were breathing and I started hearing it in my flock. I’ll sanitize the coops and remove all the bedding, not composting it just throwing it away; also will take off the shade screens and let the sun into the coops until Spring. By then we’ll have a bird net over the coop yard and I can get some hatching eggs from my son.
See you next Spring.

Awww, so sorry you have to do this, but can understand why😞. Big hugs from us to you 🤗🤗
I will look forward to any and all updates you post 🙂

Awww, so sorry you have to do this, but can understand why😞. Big hugs from us to you 🤗🤗
I will look forward to any and all updates you post 🙂
Thanks Sue :hmm
Your garden is looking nice 😍, what all do you have growing ?
Just herbs and shrubs right now. I’m planning to put in garlic and some greens in the next couple of weeks, just waiting for cooler temps.

Back
Top Bottom