It has been raining off and on all day today. We had a thunderstorm roll through and I’m pretty sure we had a bit of hail at some point by the sound of it. When I let the ducks out this morning they were thrilled to run and stomp in the puddles on the patio. This afternoon I peeked out and they were billing around in the puddles under the picnic table. I also saw them out near the compost pile so they’re becoming comfortable with the open spaces.
I checked the rain gauge this morning and we’d accumulated half an inch but I need to check it again when I go out to check feed and water. There’s no giant puddle in the middle of the yard despite the heavy rain so the mulch is working beautifully to help with that and the runoff from the RV parking area. Very happy with that.

It has been raining off and on all day today. We had a thunderstorm roll through and I’m pretty sure we had a bit of hail at some point by the sound of it. When I let the ducks out this morning they were thrilled to run and stomp in the puddles on the patio. This afternoon I peeked out and they were billing around in the puddles under the picnic table. I also saw them out near the compost pile so they’re becoming comfortable with the open spaces.
I checked the rain gauge this morning and we’d accumulated half an inch but I need to check it again when I go out to check feed and water. There’s no giant puddle in the middle of the yard despite the heavy rain so the mulch is working beautifully to help with that and the runoff from the RV parking area. Very happy with that.
It's good to hear that all of your hard work is paying off...although I'm sure the ducklings would love a big puddle in the middle of the yard, they'd probably think it was pretty :cool:

It's good to hear that all of your hard work is paying off...although I'm sure the ducklings would love a big puddle in the middle of the yard, they'd probably think it was pretty :cool:
I think you’re right about that! It makes for treacherous walking though. Lots of clay here.

I think you’re right about that! It makes for treacherous walking though. Lots of clay here.
We have very little clay here! Though we do have some dirt in the garden and chicken pens, the other day I stepped into the enclosed pen and almost did the splits, it was wet and so slick! I'm going to have to do something about that...we have lots of sand on our property, so I'm thinking of loading a bunch up in the tractor before we get the garden going and put a good layer down in the pen!

We have very little clay here! Though we do have some dirt in the garden and chicken pens, the other day I stepped into the enclosed pen and almost did the splits, it was wet and so slick! I'm going to have to do something about that...we have lots of sand on our property, so I'm thinking of loading a bunch up in the tractor before we get the garden going and put a good layer down in the pen!
I hope that works for you! Do you get a lot of rain in your area?
We don’t have sand per se...it’s either clay or very loose, dusty soil over caliche which is like cement. It’s a general rule that gypsum goes in every hole I dig.

I hope that works for you! Do you get a lot of rain in your area?
We don’t have sand per se...it’s either clay or very loose, dusty soil over caliche which is like cement. It’s a general rule that gypsum goes in every hole I dig.
We don't get a ton of rain and it's taken many years to build up the soil in our garden...our property was mostly blow sand when we bought it in 1990...it's come a long way since then! We have patches of Caliche under the sand, but not a ton of that. When you dig too deep we run into a cement like rock layer and below that is coarse black, that sloughs away, the only way to contain is to put something into the hole to keep it in place...it's a nightmare to work with. Over the years the soil in the chicken pen has changed into dirt from sand! I should actually shovel off the top layer and then add sand back in!

We don't get a ton of rain and it's taken many years to build up the soil in our garden...our property was mostly blow sand when we bought it in 1990...it's come a long way since then! We have patches of Caliche under the sand, but not a ton of that. When you dig too deep we run into a cement like rock layer and below that is coarse black, that sloughs away, the only way to contain is to put something into the hole to keep it in place...it's a nightmare to work with. Over the years the soil in the chicken pen has changed into dirt from sand! I should actually shovel off the top layer and then add sand back in!
It can definitely be a lot of work! We sprout where we’re planted though right? I have to say the fowl and bunnies have helped tremendously with soil improvement here as well. I bet you could plant just about anything in that chicken yard and it would grow!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom