Went to a local feed store this morning to get some pigeon feed for the chickens as I don’t give them scratch. I like it because I can get it without corn and then boost the protein a little bit with meal worms. They LOVE it, especially the chicks. Got some Rooster Booster also to mix into their wet mash once a week. They adore steel cut oats so I’ve been mixing whatever hubs doesn’t eat during the week with their pigeon feed and mealworms and they’re more like pigs than chickens :gig
We trimmed an Arabian lilac and another bush today. There’s a neighborhood cat that has been using it for cover and stalking the chicks. It’s time to start shaping the lilac into a tree anyway so it works out.
View attachment 3332778View attachment 3332779View attachment 3332780View attachment 3332781View attachment 3332782View attachment 3332784
You're doing a good job with that garden. Getting that mix of foliage and providing cover for the hens isn't easy in hot dry conditions.

92205407-8398-45E5-A06D-B3BA90E6809A.jpeg
7A7C7789-7C95-4970-B76A-C03AE4183A9C.jpeg
C57F29AE-2DD7-4978-9149-9C8331A39465.jpeg

We got about half an inch of rain yesterday and overnight. A slow, steady rain rather than a gully washer so it had a chance to soak in. Thank you universe! I took advantage of the wet soil and pulled several palm trees that were trying to get started. I found a tiny mesquite poking through the soil so we decided to transplant it to a better spot to see what happens. I also transplanted an Arabian lilac I started from the one out back and have a Mexican bird of paradise hardening off to put out there as well. Cut all the dead blooms off the thanksgiving cactus, there are more blooms to grow and open yet.I have several pothos to transplant still, might work on that later. I don’t know whether I’m going to keep them in water or put them in soil either yet.

We got about half an inch of rain yesterday and overnight. A slow, steady rain rather than a gully washer so it had a chance to soak in. Thank you universe! I took advantage of the wet soil and pulled several palm trees that were trying to get started. I found a tiny mesquite poking through the soil so we decided to transplant it to a better spot to see what happens. I also transplanted an Arabian lilac I started from the one out back and have a Mexican bird of paradise hardening off to put out there as well. Cut all the dead blooms off the thanksgiving cactus, there are more blooms to grow and open yet.I have several pothos to transplant still, might work on that later. I don’t know whether I’m going to keep them in water or put them in soil either yet.

Cool beans you got that helpful rain IM! Sounds like a nice day playing in the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom