FULL POUND and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion coturnix shouldn't be gaining weight between 12 and 14 weeks of age. By 12 weeks they are fully-grown, so any weight added after that point is just fat. So the birds might be 16 oz. but it's fat, not genetics.

Some people do have coturnix that are genetically reaching up to 1 pound, I've seen pictures on here. True, the birds in the pic are very large, but I'd not want to get 1 lb.'ers by overfeeding them.

I simply posted this trying to find out,as it has been neat to death here,if someone on here MAY have finally found the GENITICS to produce the elusive 1 pounder on a consistant basis

thanks for all the replies

My one strain of silvers I used to have the hens by about 10-12 weeks were around 450 gr, my main breeding hen was 492 gr. We got no ounce scale in the house so I dunno how much that would be in ounces..... I would just stuff the bird in a tennis sock and put it on our kitchen scale that hangs on the wall. My mother always though that was very funny. Then the main hen turned into an internal layer at about 2 yrs old and then something got into the pen and killed everything.... haven't found such nice big coturnix since.
And I only feed chicken layer pellets, no mealworms or anything.

Only one person mentioned the "average" birds

I have received eggs from Myers Farm and I got great birds that are being used in one of my pens of 14+ ouncers. Coturnix get lighter as they get older because of their bones, hence why we weigh them between 5 and 7 weeks of age. I have abundance of meal worms and the coturnix get treats like the button quail. I raise the colors and the big birds, and am trying to get some colors to get larger.

Not all eggs hatch out to be large birds. every breeder has preferences in what they are looking for. Also not every person knows how to get these birds to reach their full size. I just think we shall move on instead of bashing breeders.

Quote:
Let's keep it nice here.

3. No Flaming (verbally attacking people or groups of people - e.g. a profession, an organization, a company.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Let's keep it nice here.

thumbsup.gif
Coturnix are the most mis advertised birds alive in my opinion. There is no strain of 16oz+ coturnix. Sure you can founder one with meal worms and soy meal, but that's fat not meat...

Yes, coturnix are misunderstood BUT they have potential. Why not have the faith? And they do lose body weight due to bone density. This i am learning in grad school. This you can find in publications. These birds are awesome! Don't ruin it.

There is no strain of 16 ouncers out there. Sure some birds get that big occasionally, but it isn't something that's a given. Sure there are variables, but that isn't even close to the monsters people promise. I have some huge birds, but I don't stretch it as far as most do.

Okay everyone, we've spent a good deal of time cleaning this thread up. We have closed the topic as the OP's question was answered. We feel there is valuable information here, so it has been moved back here to the Quail section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom