Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Low temps

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Summerashlee

Songster
May 22, 2019
Uk
Hi so today I decided to crack my 4 chicken eggs as they showed no sign of life after 25 days at least 3 were defiantly moving on day 18 sadly I found 3 fully formed chicks that didn't even try to hatch 1 had alot of yolk left the other 2 had a small amount i would like to try again but wondering why this happened I'm devastated this was my first attempt

Hi so today I decided to crack my 4 chicken eggs as they showed no sign of life after 25 days at least 3 were defiantly moving on day 18 sadly I found 3 fully formed chicks that didn't even try to hatch 1 had alot of yolk left the other 2 had a small amount i would like to try again but wondering why this happened I'm devastated this was my first attempt

I'm new to hatching myself but I'm thinking maybe your humidity overall was too high. @Pyxis has a great article on beginning hatching. When I started weighing my eggs to set my humidity, I went from 25% hatch rate to 69% hatch rate to 76% hatch rate.

Sometimes I do think there is just an inherent issue with the eggs development though and that is what kept it from hatching. I've also noticed that unstable stormy weather has also affected my hatches. I had one this last hatch that I ended up assisting (it had pipped in the middle of the egg instead of near the air sac) and was struggling to zip for more than 24 hours. I assisted as the rest of the babies were due to come out the next morning. It is struggling and today is day 4.. I don't predict that it will make it, unfortunately :(

How many eggs did you set that
didn't end up as clears?

Not pipped. Full-term embryo, large yolk sac.
Humidity much too high, especially in first 12 days resulting in insufficient air sac development, incubator temperature too low (still air incubators need to be turned up a degree to account for cold spots), heredity (lethal genes, chromosome abnormalities), breeder diseases (your parent stock), inadequate ventilation, prolonged egg storage. Contamination, especially from molds, hatcher opened too much during pipping and hatching, poor shell quality. Not an exhaustive list, but a place to start looking for answers.

I loose too much weight too fast when I try to go that low.. I seem to have the best luck right around 43% for the first 18 days. It was great to gain the knowledge that unlike temperature, our humidity levels are not an absolute for everyone.
true
and you have altitude issues that I don't have also

I'm new to hatching myself but I'm thinking maybe your humidity overall was too high. @Pyxis has a great article on beginning hatching. When I started weighing my eggs to set my humidity, I went from 25% hatch rate to 69% hatch rate to 76% hatch rate.

Sometimes I do think there is just an inherent issue with the eggs development though and that is what kept it from hatching. I've also noticed that unstable stormy weather has also affected my hatches. I had one this last hatch that I ended up assisting (it had pipped in the middle of the egg instead of near the air sac) and was struggling to zip for more than 24 hours. I assisted as the rest of the babies were due to come out the next morning. It is struggling and today is day 4.. I don't predict that it will make it, unfortunately :(

How many eggs did you set that
didn't end up as clears?
Thank u I set 6 eggs 4 were fertile all 4went into lock down 1 I wasn't sure about but thought I'd give it a chance I agree after doing some research my humidity was to high there are so many conflicting temps and humidity levels

Back
Top Bottom