Fully Formed chicks not hatching

I am having the same problem with guinea eggs, 1 hatch and others nothing...just waiting until day 30 or so ...guineas take 28 days...the few I candled , i saw no movement... I heard one peeping in the egg or pip though...was getting ready to make a pip hole, but he has died.I started the incubatorbuter about 2 wks earlier than every before. It was still cold here the first week or so after setting, and the furnace would run, so i had trouble with the humidity ...keeping it above 35%... then after in warm up the Humidity was running at 55-60% and I bumped it up at lock down ..now about 80%...I figure with a humidity problem , the eggs just would not develop and be quitters. I candled these at lock down all looked good... air cell seemed ok.... VERY FRUSTRATED>...

My problems with hatching usually begin in the last week and continue until lock down. This year I started gradually raising the humidity for the last week (maybe a few percentage each day) until it is about 60% for the last three. I run about 35% in my incubators for the first two. Thought maybe the sudden jump in humidity for the last three days was drowning them
hu.gif
Did much better this time, but don't know if it will consistently be that way or if this time is a fluke. Best of luck!

Ok set another batch yesterday the humidity is set at 43% these are also shipped I waited 17 hours to let them come to room temperature then set them in the incubator that has been running for about a week so temps are even. I have the auto turner off and will start that tomorrow a few had detached air cells. The last batch the humidity stayed at 38% the first 18 days.
fl.gif
and it seemed to me the air cells were a bit large and could have prevented the chicks from turning and pipping the shell, I can't explain why they would get to the end and quit except for lack of room.

I had the same thing happen to my 1st attemt. I had 15 eggs and they were all develop but didn't hatch. I kept my humidty perfect the whole time. I though maybe it was a small change in temp or that they drowned when i took them out of the turner and layed them on their sides. I am going to use a carton this time. I just set 15 more today! i am trying a dry incubation......wish me luck!

Lots of great ideas guys but unfortunately I've tried them all
sad.png
I'm going to try sanitizing my eggs with oxine this next hatch and see what happens. I ran my last hatch at high humidity as close to 40% as I could get and of the 6 that made it to lockdown two hatched
hmm.png
4 were fully formed but didn't pip internally or anything. So frustrating when all I want is 50% to hatch and I see plenty of others getting that and more. I've got some eggs that go on lockdown this weekend that I ran the humidity at 40% as well so I can see if the first batch was just a fluke and go from there.

The eternal "why" ??? I've had it happen more times than I can count. But I do hatch at least a degree lower than I incubate and have had much better luck. The industry standard calls for hatching between 98 and 99 degree's and it's worked for me. I don't think it is related to humidity as long as they have lost enough water during incubation and have plenty of moisture at hatch.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the reassurance
smile.png
I've tried lowering my temperature at hatch but it didn't seem to make a difference. I'll try it again with the next batch that have incubated at 40% humidity and see if it helps in comparison to the last batch that were incubated the same.

Just a side note but the eggs I got from you hatched the best LOL They karate kicked their way out when the others didn't even try to hatch
wink.png
What kinda of diet do you feed your breeders cause Wow I was impressed
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom