Fun indentifying breeds (Rainbow Layer Assortment)

Quote:
Not oddly colored, that color is mottled. Though I suspect it is probably an ancona and not a java.

I may have neglected to be clear. That these were all part of a Rainbow Layer Assortment From McMurray Hatchery. So, that should limit the options to what McMurray hatches.

So, as for consensus:
#1 - My suspicions that it is a mis-sexed EE are confirmed. Are EE roos particularly loud?
#2 - They look like pics of Welsummers on the breeds page, but is there an alternate name I can't find Welsummer in the McMurray catalog. Rose Comb or Single Comb Brown Leghorn perhaps? I was hoping they were light legged EEs, since EEs are mutts so probably come in a huge variety and aside from the legs they look just like my mom's EE.
#3 - Delaware seems right.
#4 - Since no one offered a guess, some options based on the catalog Black Jersey Giant, Black Australorp, low probability of Black Minorca...
#5, #6 - Since Java are not in the catalog, but Ancona are, Ancona seems more likely.
#7 - No guesses on the Buff?

I will be bummed if I don't have some blue/green eggs in March/April.

Thanks again. Time to update the sig to account for the identified and now questionable ID on #2.

Quote:
Buff Orpington or Buff Rock are my best guess based on what McMurray offers. But, I don't have a clue how to tell the difference.

You probably have some EE's and something else (welsummer or leghorn) in the brown chicks. Look for a single comb in the leghorns or welsummers, and a flat pea comb in the EE's. EE's may also have greenish legs and fluffy cheeks. You could post some more pictures, if you're wondering.

The buff would be buff orpington. Buff rocks would have bright yellow legs.

Black with whitish head and breast is an Ancona.

Like the others said, you have a LB Leghorn or Welsummer, I couldn't see ear color.

White one is a white rock.

#4 I would say is Jersey Giant being that the face doesn't look quite right for a BA, but what color are the bottoms of the feet yellow or pink?

Quote:
Neither the JG or the BA have the white feathers though.
hmm.png
That was my first though too 'til I saw the white feathers.

Quote:
Cool, Buff Orpingtons!

I think I figured out the browns. I think I got the two different brown chickens in this picture below, which should make it easy to tell the difference. At the top is what I suspect is one of the brown leghorn. Left middle is also a brown leghorn, but you can see the back. Bottom is an EE. The tan coloring on the back of the neck is the brown leghorn and the brown on the back of the neck is the EE?

68084_100_1788.jpg

Compare and contrast.

EEs
68084_100_1787.jpg

Brown Leghorns
68084_100_1789.jpg

But, then there are these which seem somewhere in between, but I would put in the Brown Leghorn category for now.
68084_100_1790.jpg

Quote:
Neither the JG or the BA have the white feathers though.
hmm.png
That was my first though too 'til I saw the white feathers.

Well, crap. Now, I need to catch them and look at the bottom of their feet.

Here is the other one. You think they might be different breeds?

68084_100_1771.jpg

You have EE hens...the very first pic you posted has 2 EE hens in the upper left corner and your second post, very first pic has an EE next to the Ancona. The EEs are gold oppose black oppose to the welsummer/brown leghorn ones that are a darker brown. Also, the EEs will usually have a pea comb, whereas, the welsummer or brown leghorns will have a straight comb.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom