Songster
13 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Telford, TN
Funnel Cakes
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder (I use aluminum-free Rumford)
1 egg
cool.png
(freshly laid, of course!)
3/4 cup milk
oil for fryer
funnel*
2 tsp. powdered sugar

Combine dry ingredients; add egg & milk, beating until smooth.
Heat 1 inch oil to 375 degrees in a deep skillet** Hold funnel over center of skillet. Remove finger from funnel end to release batter into hot oil; move funnel in a slow circular motion to form a spiral, beginning at the center and moving outward. Fry 2 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Yield: about 6 servings

*I use a plastic squeeze bottle (the old-timey red or yellow ones that restaurants put ketchup or mustard in). Cut off the tip so that you can extrude more batter, don't cut off too much of the tip.
**I like to use a Fry Baby because it contains the batter into a nice, circular shape. These cook so quickly, what does it matter if you can only make one at a time?

Yeast Raised Donuts
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
3 3/4 cup milk
1 package dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
about 12 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
oil for fryer

Place sugar, butter, & milk in a saucepan. Gently heat until butter is melted; cool to lukewarm. Proof yeast in warm water and add to lukewarm milk mixture. Beat in enough pre-measured flour to make a pancake-like batter (about 7 cups). Let the batter rise until doubled in bulk & spongy (about 1 hour in a warm place).
Meanwhile, mix baking powder, soda, & salt with 1/2 cup of the remaining flour and add to the risen sponge batter. Beat thoroughly. Add remaining flour to make a softly firm dough (about 5 cups). Knead thoroughly in bowl. Chill dough for ease in handling. The dough is now ready to use. It may be immediately rolled, cut into donuts, set to rise in a warm place until doubled, cooked in deep fat, and glazed. Or it may be rolled, cut, and frozen before rising for cooking later.
To make donuts: Roll about 1/2-inch thick, cut**, place on lightly floured surface and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk. Gently lift with spatula and lower into deep hot fat. Turn to brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels and glaze.

**My grandmother had a donut cutter. I just use a biscuit cutter and poke a hole through the center with my finger and shape the dough.

Glaze:
1 box confectioners sugar
2 tbsp. melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla or 1/2 tsp cinnamon
about 1/2 cup water or milk to make a thin glaze

Mix all ingredients. Using a fork or tongs, dip the warm donuts into the glaze mixture. Drain on wire rack or waxed paper.
Makes about 6 dozen.

Quote:
Proofing yeast is how you make sure it is still good if you think it might not be.
You add the yeast to the amount of water called for in the recipe, make sure the water is warm but not real hot. Add 1/8 tsp of sugar to it, it won't hurt your recipe it all and you'll never know it's there.
Wait 10 minutes, if it is bubbly when you go back your yeast is good, if it looks like nothing is happening or dry powder just laying on water your yeast is no good and will not rise at all.

now I am going to have to get up in the morning and make funnel cakes for breakfast Sunday is usually our splurge day anyway

Kasi

**My grandmother had a donut cutter. I just use a biscuit cutter and poke a hole through the center with my finger and shape the dough.

I use a small six ounce juice jar or juice glass to cut the hole along with the biscuit cutter. Our family "tradition" with the funnel cakes was to use fresh whipped cream,fresh berries-blueberries,strawberries,whatever was in season,all topped with birch syrup or shag bark hickory syrup...for all y'all that be yankees,I guess maple syrup would do,in a pinch?

All y'all Take care!​

Had to make them this morning instead of yesterday SIL had to work yesterday morning and she wanted one. They were a huge HIT! my nephew that hardly eats anything had 2 servings and wanted a 3rd.

Kasi

Back
Top Bottom