Funny emu nest building squabble

chickenzoo

Emu Hugger
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
a bumpy dirt road in Florida
Merlin has been sitting and defending his nest like a champ. He got up to chase off Henry ( Henry is always curious what I am doing and forgets Merlin is there) Doodlebug goes over to the nest and starts covering up her eggs that Merlin is sitting on. She carefully picked up this and that and placed it around the eggs. Merlin came back a few mins later and they both stared at the eggs, then Merlin proceeded to remove all the stuff that Doodlebug placed around the eggs.... Doodlebug again placed something over the eggs, and again Merlin removed it..... if Emu could roll their eyes.... I'm sure that would be what Doodlebug was doing..... hehe...... As she walked off I swore I heard her say "WHAT EVER" ..... with a huff.
lol.png

How old are your emus? I would have thought mine should have started laying by now. Emeu is 3 years old now and Kevin is around 16 years old.

lol.png
I love it!
Reading all this stuff about emus REALLY makes me want some... if only I had more money and land
sad.png

Quote:
they really don't eat anymore then a goose.
we feed ours once a day of horse pellets and in the winter sweet feed. they are nice and fat. happy boucy birds

Quote:
the soonest I would expect one to lay would be 3yo. just keep an eye on kevin if they are mating she will lay. but if he is not interested in her she might not be ready yet.
but are you prepared ? will you hatch them in an incubator or let him do it? what will you do with the babies keep em or sell them? just curious I kept 5 of my last hatch . I now have 3 adults and 5 terror teens. and the season is starting again!
lol.png

Quote:
Really?? Hmmm....I may have to get an emu! Would one be happy living in a pasture with a couple alpacas?
Anyone have an adult male who is friendly that they don't want anymore?
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom