Funny emu nest building squabble

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by chickenzoo, Nov 15, 2011.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Merlin has been sitting and defending his nest like a champ. He got up to chase off Henry ( Henry is always curious what I am doing and forgets Merlin is there) Doodlebug goes over to the nest and starts covering up her eggs that Merlin is sitting on. She carefully picked up this and that and placed it around the eggs. Merlin came back a few mins later and they both stared at the eggs, then Merlin proceeded to remove all the stuff that Doodlebug placed around the eggs.... Doodlebug again placed something over the eggs, and again Merlin removed it..... if Emu could roll their eyes.... I'm sure that would be what Doodlebug was doing..... hehe...... As she walked off I swore I heard her say "WHAT EVER" ..... with a huff. [​IMG]

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    That's hysterical. Sounds like me and my dh.

3. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    How old are your emus? I would have thought mine should have started laying by now. Emeu is 3 years old now and Kevin is around 16 years old.

4. efinley

efinley Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2011
    [​IMG] I love it!
    Reading all this stuff about emus REALLY makes me want some... if only I had more money and land [​IMG]

5. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Quote:they really don't eat anymore then a goose.
    we feed ours once a day of horse pellets and in the winter sweet feed. they are nice and fat. happy boucy birds

6. foulman007

foulman007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2010
    Columbia SC
    Quote:the soonest I would expect one to lay would be 3yo. just keep an eye on kevin if they are mating she will lay. but if he is not interested in her she might not be ready yet.
    but are you prepared ? will you hatch them in an incubator or let him do it? what will you do with the babies keep em or sell them? just curious I kept 5 of my last hatch . I now have 3 adults and 5 terror teens. and the season is starting again! [​IMG]

7. efinley

efinley Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2011
    Quote:Really?? Hmmm....I may have to get an emu! Would one be happy living in a pasture with a couple alpacas?
    Anyone have an adult male who is friendly that they don't want anymore? [​IMG]

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

You should be able to find chicks soon.... depending on where you are. I know my male is sitting on at least 6 eggs.

9. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:males hatcheggs???????? coolieo! [​IMG]

10. NightsInWhiteSilkies

NightsInWhiteSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2011
    Oh my gosh thats too cute and funny what their doing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by